Post IJR failure reality check - too pessimistic?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Post IJR failure reality check - too pessimistic?

Post by 56G80S »

Long post, start if you've got time to spare!

Well, I've been reflecting on the failed trip to the IJR. I'll write up about Pat Gill's help and the trip as a whole but there are factors I need to think about.

Although I could do a bit more to reduce the weight carried, on the trip it was hard work dealing with the Matchless even with the Rob Swift stand. With the panniers on, an element of peripheral neuropathy and not enough room to get a hand under the front of the seat I struggled to get it onto the centre stand. Getting it up the ramp into the current lock up isn't easy, the lock up is three miles away and is costing me £44 a month; there is little room, I can only get to one side of the Matchless when it's in. Popping out for a ride isn't straightforward.

Riding is my pleasure and the Matchless has been with me since the mid 1970's but can I stick with it? My muscle mass is reduced following the recurrence of cancer and something lighter could be got up the steps, through the passage to the rear of my house. Previously, I did this not only with the Matchless but also the BMW R75 but then my eldest (6' 4”, 15 st.+ and very lean at that) was home to help push. I suppose a small winch or lighter machine would work but the former would be difficult to rig up and there would remain problems in terms of moving about once “up”; I used to lift the rear of the Matchless and BMW to position them and doubt I could do that now. The original plan, which I persuaded Linda about before the village lock up was lost, was a more modern machine for the longer trips and the Matchless for local/regional use. The Yamahaha wasn't that modern but at less than 17k had been little used and the Givi luggage worked fine. But I don't want to leave the AMOC.

So would a late James Commodore 250 do the trick? It's difficult to get an idea of the stats for them but as a two stroke I doubt they're very heavy and probably produce power similar to a G80S! Easy to kick over. Skittering round the net there was a 1960 one at around £2,295 which looked (!) decent and with panniers and a rack. Are parts for the later AMC engined machines available or is it more sensible to think about the Villiers engine, although smaller?

I recall riding the pig nose MZ 250 from Saltburn to Bristol and returning via London two up (Linda) plus luggage; steady 50-55mph not far off my preferred cruising speed on the Matchless. I know I'm not the only one who's thought about something lighter, If I wasn't so keen to stick with the AMOC, the “new” Triumph 440cc (XBR based?) is, I think, at least 60lbs lighter and at £5k not expensive.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Re: Post IJR failure reality check - too pessimistic?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Johnny get a new Chinese AJ they're great, as Tony the Tiger would say
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers. The thing is I'm running away from trailering the Matchless to rallies. I've removed the trailer for Ebay and will do so from the Club "For sale". Riding a 125 to Luxembourg just sounds mad, although I did see this when last in Scotland; a group of Honda step through riders, mostly 90cc and some modified, on tour of Scotland complete with extra fuel tanks and spare tyres to replace the rears as the wore out!
resized Glentrool.jpg
I think my real problem is actually having a more suitable and local place to keep the Matchless coupled with a different approach to the volume and loading of it. I tried pulling a trailer but that ended badly. Ho hum. Get the house sold and buy one with a garage.

Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patrick500

Post by Patrick500 »

Hello John well done on getting to IJR and back I went on BMW after last minute mechanicals with model 20. I get what you are saying totally, reflecting on the journey i would definitely say its not the size but what you do with it that counts. A James or Fanny B would be ok maybe ? I have also seen a few heavyweights with folding handle at the seat nose bolt. Don't give up on the riding if its what makes you happy, my first bike 40 years ago was an MZ and it would sit at 50 all day no problem. See you on Skye next year?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Patrick, thanks for the encouragement+.

I didn't make it, broke down not far from the France / Belgium border near Valenciennes. I've previously been furthest travelled on an AMC, at the IJR Kerteminde, Denmark.

Johnny B
Patrick500

Post by Patrick500 »

Sorry to hear that, it was my first IJR but heres to the next one!
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

John,
Sorry to hear that you didn't make it to Luxembourg. But as you know by now you didn't miss too much. Or rather you missed the flooded campsite and the continual rain.
I am still OK with the weight of my M18S but I haven't ridden it with luggage. I really liked my BMWs, an R80 and then an R100R, which I rode on long trips with camping gear. But I was not unhappy to sell them because of the weight. I have a Honda 650 single which weighs only 160kg which is fine but again I haven't loaded it up. I am building a G3LS to be as light as possible. My target is 140kg. Personally I would avoid a 2 stroke having had a Villiers engined Greaves for a few years. But I know many people like them because they tend to be light and have plenty of power for their size.
For long trips I now either put the Honda on a bike rack on the back of my van or tow the AJS.
Good luck with the search for a light bike.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Eddie,

Cheers. I think it was a combination of things that led to the post. Now I've calmed down a bit, I don't have a problem with the G80S without the load. I'm really thinking aloud on the Forum!

As a first step, fix the Burman gearbox, which is within my compass.

As a second step I think I need to revise my tool carrying approach and reduce the other elements and see what the impact is just as a "dummy run".

Third, see what the CT scan at the end of June comes up with; this is important. I will have the sixth of six rounds of my latest treatment that day as well, had the fifth today (third different form of treatment post operations).

Fourth, find a better place for the Matchless where I can more easily get at it and work on it, there are a few options one being sell this house and get a smaller one but with a garage although this needs doing anyway but dependent on the third element, above.

Fifth, if push comes to shove, I have the trailer the Matchless could go on.

Sixth, go down Ib's route and acquire a Harris Matchless provided there's more than what appears to be only a 30-35 lbs(?kg) difference in weight but also they are all also old now and time to fettle is time not riding.

Seventh, sell the Matchless and go down the AMC two stroke route and stay in the AMOC?

Eighth, and the very last, sell the Matchless, buy a new Triumph 440cc (£5k and excellent reviews, although 375lbs versus Matchless 410lbs) or similar and make sure I get my motorcycling in even if not with AMOC; after not far off 50 years membership that would be sad but reference third element, above.

I don't think a 125cc AJS will do the trick and I have no plan to go back to pulling a trailer although the failure on that front was probably down to doing so on the cheap with poor trailers.

So now I've publicly set out a plan!

Thanks for being a sounding board. It's a help.

Johnny B
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi Johnny
One more thing to factor in is that you do not have to own an amc machine to be a club member merely to have an interest in the machines of amc .
Cheers Chris
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:14 am Riding a 125 to Luxembourg just sounds mad, although I did see this when last in Scotland; a group of Honda step through riders, mostly 90cc and some modified, on tour of Scotland complete with extra fuel tanks and spare tyres to replace the rears as the wore out!
When learning to ride one-armed after permanently losing the use of my right arm I bought a Honda 90 and rode it 90 miles with camping gear to the IJR at Aylesford. Unfortunately when stationary upon arrival at the rally car park my foot slipped on the gravel and I toppled over, breaking my unusable right elbow and bending the rod in my arm and had to be ambulanced to hospital. The Sussex ladies looked after me.
IJR Maidstone May 25th 2012 (640x480).jpg
The following year I overheard my sons discussing a 40th birthday biking adventure to Spain on their Kawasakis so as I still couldn't ride my G3LS or a heavy bike I bought a new Honda 125, fitted an adaptation and joined them for 1,700 miles to tour the Picos Mountains and back. It was ruddy hard work with the zillions of gear changes to keep it buzzing to maintain 60mph (8,200rpm) and my eyeballs were fizzing with the vibration.

For a bit more ooomph I now have a Chinese Herald Classic 250 (the 'Mutchless') which has more torque than the Honda, is the same weight as the Honda and as quick as my G3LS. It has been faultless.

2016-05-21 Mutchless resized 009 (640x480).jpg
Mutchless logo 2016-04-29 003 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'