Carburetion on G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Red Gauntlet

Carburetion on G80CS

Post by Red Gauntlet »

I have got this bike running pretty well but have a small conundrum, pulls like a train at high revs but has a flat spot mid range, probably too rich, but at low revs is pinking, probably weak mix or over adv; 389 carb, 30 pilot, 3 slide, needle 3rd notch and 440 main jet, straight through pipe, 10.98mm advance, E5 super unleaded. Before I go tearing the carb around, what are others running, I did see the posts about carbs before. (viewtopic.php?t=23933)
Dropped the needle one notch and big improvement but still pinking low revs, retarded the ignition slightly and seems to sort it, but not altogether happy with that. (Unless they all do that of course) this is still a voyage of discovery with this machine, only done 22 miles so far locally.
Just found this thread (viewtopic.php?p=112793&hilit=pinking#p112793) appears to indicate what I have been doing is maybe correct then, just backing off the advance when it starts pinking. My other bikes have never pinked so this was new to me, back in the days of 5 star never had issues.
MartinAmes

Re: Carburetion on G80CS

Post by MartinAmes »

Here are the Amal guides that may help.
I also used a Gunson's colour tune to get mine running correctly at each throttle setting, but leaving it slighly rich on full throttle (keeps it cooler and stops the exhaust glowing)

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.