My first Matchless - where do I start?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AlanThurlow_G80

My first Matchless - where do I start?

Post by AlanThurlow_G80 »

So I finally got my first Matchless after years of thinking about it. Question is where do I start?
I bought a G80 1951. It runs, but there's fair few things I've discovered and need to look at but I'm a bit bewildered on the best way to approach it. The engine seems good but wet sumps when left, all the gears work,the dynamo needs replacing. There is an attached battery which needs replacing, its just running the lights I guess but doesn't hold a charge. The magneto seems ok, there are virtually no brakes. What else there is, I don't know. It feels to me the timing is also out. At the moment I've not started anything as I bought it only a few days ago. I have some experience on bikes but at a fairly low level, I think my skills will be found wanting on many of these jobs. I have a garage with limited space and limited tools so all these things are going to impact. I'm not planning a full Resto, but I'd like a bike, where all is running and I can start the thing reasonably easily. Cosmetically it has plenty of scope for improvement. My question is, where do I start? Is there a recognised, well practiced procedure. What jobs might I be able to do and which jobs would require a professional. Any suggestions from you fellas would be much appreciated.

My motivation for buying was that after the Army my Dad, who was born in Woolwich, worked at the Matchless factory in Plumstead. I was born in Plumstead and brought up there. To this day I've wanted a Matchless Motorcycle. I paid £2750 which I thought was reasonable.
dave16mct

Re: My first Matchless - where do I start?

Post by dave16mct »

First thing to do is join the club. Then do some homework, download the manual and parts list for your model year. If you post a picture we'll know whether it's a late or early 51 which have different gearboxes etc. You need to study the manual and really get to know your bike. Also useful to look at is Roy Bacon's book AJS & Matchless Restoration.
Dave
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

After you have followed Dave's excellent advice arm yourself with some Whitworth spanners and sockets, either new or from auto jumbles select the slimmer ones not the very chunky period ones for trucks (these will become your travelling tool kit). If your willing to learn most aspects are in the remit of a home mechanic with the exception of things like cylinder rebores and crankshaft/big end assembly. Only attempt one job at a time rather than multiple ones that could stall and kill enthusiasm.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Further to Dave and Duncan's advice, I would advise having an MoT. Perhaps after you have got the brakes working better. Even though a bike of that age doesn't need it, it is a cheap way of getting a full road worthiness check. They will check wheel and headstock bearings, brakes, spoke tightness, lights etc. Even if it fails it will tell you what needs to be done at least for road worthiness. It won't help you with the engine, gearbox and charging system - so you will have to read up about those in the books mentioned. And if you join you may find a member not too far away who can provide advice.
Waynebrainache

Post by Waynebrainache »

I bought a junk heap of a matchless having never worked on 1 before, but with the help I got from people on this forum the bike was restored to its former glory (mostly by me) question is how much you want to spend because that can be a rabbit hole. Regards
AlanThurlow_G80

dave16mct wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:19 pm First thing to do is join the club. Then do some homework, download the manual and parts list for your model year. If you post a picture we'll know whether it's a late or early 51 which have different gearboxes etc. You need to study the manual and really get to know your bike. Also useful to look at is Roy Bacon's book AJS & Matchless Restoration.
Dave
[Thanks Dave, that's helpful
]
AlanThurlow_G80

Thanks Guys for the Reponses.
@Dave16mct - I posted 2 pics on the main site, under Pictures Tab, Thx
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Congratulations on your new bike. As has already been said, join the club, there is a wealth of experience here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, many questions. Wet sumping is less common on the singles than the twins, but then how long has it been stood between startups? Dynamos can be replaced or renovated. Depending on your biking background, what feels like 'virtually no brakes' to you might be brakes working fine. I would check the age and condition of the tyres, and replace if necessary. Cosmetically, a full restoration isn't so fashionable these days; patina is the new chrome (at least, that's what I tell myself when I look at my bike).

Enjoy.

Malc
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Not contradicting but supplementing the spanners advice, BS spanners will also fit. They are the same as Whit but the sizes stamped may differ on pre-war spanners with BS sizes of that time a step smaller but they'll still fit the nuts and bolts.

I bought some Silverline https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/P ... ame=633967 which at under £30 aren't expensive. I prefer my Britool ones but it meant I could have separate "workshop" and "on the road" sets.

Johnny B
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

May also be worth getting in touch with Bristol Section of owners club for support.
I believe that will be nearest, and there may be members closer to you than that who can give you some eyes-on advice
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire