Part number of stud rear engine plate

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KEES_MATCHLESS

Part number of stud rear engine plate

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi there,

After a long time I am now on rebuilding my Matchless G3LS 53. I have a question about a threated rod, fixing the rear engine plates to the motor.

I would expect a rod with threads at the ends and not one with thread all the way, mine have a thread all the way, see picture. It is the one at left of the picture called "top front bolt", the position of the threaded rod can be seen on the second image.
So the question is, should it be a rod with treads at both ends and flat in the middle?

If possible I also need the part number of the rod. I could not find this one in the manual. Thanks in advance.

dave16mct

Re: Part number of stud rear engine plate

Post by dave16mct »

the stud is part number 000278, 4 9/16" x 5/16" x 26. Threaded both ends 26 TPI . All studs are plain and threaded each end. Studs which are threaded all the way are cheap studding from DIY stores which won't be high tensile like the originals.
Dave
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Dave thanks a lot, what about the threaded rod see the image, part of the primary chain tensioner to the far right. I could not find that part either.

I will order those parts.

Kind regards Kees
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

According to the 53 Parts List it's 000278. It's in the section 'Engine Plates and Bolts' on page 27.
Dave