auto A/R unit

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Vink27A

auto A/R unit

Post by Vink27A »

The auto A/R unit shows quite some slack between the unit and de sprocket in the radial direction, I would like tyo disassemble the sprocket has anyone experiance with this, are there special attention points?
IMG_0656.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: auto A/R unit

Post by clive »

I am afraid the engineer who fixed mine is no longer with us.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

viewtopic.php?t=30688
is another thread on here, very recent, on the topic. They come to bits OK, but there are several points of possible weakness/wear and most units suffer from one or more of them.
Serious wear / corrosion on the central pillar is the usual reason for slop between the inner and outer parts, but it can be exacerbated by too much end float between the two main parts. That is controlled by the pressed-on collar on the inner end. A few thou (max) clearance is all that's needed there.
Your pic looks a bit odd to me, as I don't quite recognise the collar, if that's what it is, inboard of the sprocket, but it may just be the camera.
The heads of the rivets are certainly sunken compared to what one normally sees. Whether because their heads are undersize or because they've started to pull through and are loose even (which would be bad) is hard to say.
Vink27A

Post by Vink27A »

Thanks, I got it dismantled with the extraction tool
Groily

Post by Groily »

Good progress! You'll see in the other thread that there are quite a lot of common bits with other ATD units, which may help you if you find you can't avoid getting some better bits! Good luck . . .