Headlamp assembly springs

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Headlamp assembly springs

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning call,

Having replaced the original headlamp bulb with an LED alternative I’m now struggling to put the lens, rim and reflector back together. I’ve replaced the securing springs ( wire clips ) to where I believe they should go. I’ve also varied this a bit with no joy. It would appear that the clip legs ( see photo ) snag on the shell rim thus preventing it from being fully ‘closed’ into position. Funny, as it did fit before! Now, are these actually the correct clips or should they be different? Am I missing the obvious ( probably). Original DU 42 lamp, 1947 G3L. It could be that the lens is not original but seems to fit.
Any advice would be most illuminating! Pun intended!

Thanks,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Re: Headlamp assembly springs

Post by g80csp11 »

does the clip not go the other way around and lip over the headlamp lens rim . often tight to fit

https://www.feked.com/lucas-headlamp-be ... clips.html
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

I can't recall exactly but I think you may have them wrong way around.
Can you flip them over, will change angle of the legs?..
Screenshot_20240319_130939_Chrome~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi, yes , I’ve tried that as one of the variations that was unsuccessful. The wire leg still catches on the rim of the lamp shell so that the fitment can not be located fully onto the shell. The reflector can be held securely within the rim but unable to get it all to locate within lamp shell. As you can see, both options permit the ‘leg” to obstruct the locating groove for the lamp shell rim. See photo.
Thanks,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

I think I might have solved it! Yep, it did. I’ve looked at loads of instructions and videos but never seen the fitting like this!
Just updated my other thread re results of fitting led bulb.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve