Production numbers

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
DerekAJS30

Production numbers

Post by DerekAJS30 »

Is there a reference to see how many G11 and model 30 variants were made, and even where they were sold ?

I guess they weren't big numbers?

I cant see anything in the archive.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Production numbers

Post by SPRIDDLER »

DerekAJS30 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:15 pm Is there a reference to see how many G11 and model 30 variants were made, and even where they were sold ?

I guess they weren't big numbers?

I cant see anything in the archive.
This question has cropped up from time to time about particular model ranges but I don't recall any definitive conclusions.
The club holds almost complete factory despatch records with frame numbers of (post-war) road machines (and I believe in some cases the dealers to whom they were shipped) but it would be a mammoth task to extract the data and present it in year/marque/model format.

Bacon's restoration book gives model and frame numbers for some years from which one can deduce production numbers.
I haven't my copy of Bacon to hand but here's an old pic from my photos album which gives you an idea of what's in it.
Frame nos. Bacon c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

Thanks Spriddler. I have ordered the Bacon book today. I'm half way through the restoration but heh, it looks like a book I should own !
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:33 pm The club holds almost complete factory despatch records with frame numbers of (post-war) road machines (and I believe in some cases the dealers to whom they were shipped) but it would be a mammoth task to extract the data and present it in year/marque/model format.
In what formats do the club hold the factory records?
There is a quick checker on the club website that gives some basic information for a given frame number, so I imagine the records must be held in a digital form allowing data extraction to some degree?
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Joker_Bones wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 am ... I imagine the records must be held in a digital form allowing data extraction to some degree?
Yes, we have a database with the dating information, I'm in conversation with the Dating officer to see if we can produce statistics
Corners like a Lego man
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Joker_Bones wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 am In what formats do the club hold the factory records?
There is a quick checker on the club website that gives some basic information for a given frame number, so I imagine the records must be held in a digital form allowing data extraction to some degree?
Good point JB. I hadn't considered that.
DerekAJS30 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:55 am Thanks Spriddler. I have ordered the Bacon book today. I'm half way through the restoration but heh, it looks like a book I should own !

Apart from being an excellent source of information it's a good read (for nerds like me).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'