Timing Side Crank Axle

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Gronno

Timing Side Crank Axle

Post by Gronno »

Hi all,
Currently rebuilding my 1943 Matchless G3L engine but running into some issues. My timing side crank axle is damaged and I am struggling to find a new/used replacement or any bearings which would fit. Its the early type where it has a bush and roller bearing. I have spoken to Alpha bearings and they have said the bearings are a bit scarce so I am wondering if its worth going to the once piece bush and the different axle or if there is any fitment issues with doing this. AMOC sell brand new axles and bushes of the later type:

https://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comers ... duct=20852
https://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comers ... duct=21292

Thanks
Jack
clive

Re: Timing Side Crank Axle

Post by clive »

If you go down that route make sure the oil pump is compatible. I assume it should be a single start one which would be fine with the axle you have referenced.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Gronno

Post by Gronno »

Hi,
Following this up, I have now installed the new timing side axle and the original bush fits lovely over it. My question is after looking at images on the internet should the bush come further into the casing so the bush sort of looks like a top hat? I've attached some images of my crank pin and bush best trying to explain what I am asking, any information is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

if you talk to Les at Russell motors ( ring Sat mid morning ) he will be able to sell you the replacement longer bush ( top hat style) that replaced the small bearing