Thrown rod

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
RodneyK

Thrown rod

Post by RodneyK »

I messed up big time on my rebuild. Installed a reground crankshaft that I’d assumed was cleaned. Got no oil to the drive side journal so it overheated and threw the rod in the first hour of running. Now I’m starting over. I have cases and con rods. Need to get the crank spray welded and turned back down to -0.020. Then massive cleaning.

The cylinder barrel skirt was chipped a bit. Maybe 1”x1/4”. Can I use it like that? Or can it be repaired? Pistons, rings, pins all seem OK. What else do I need to watch for considering the damage done?

Sorry gents. I’m back to square one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: Thrown rod

Post by ajscomboman »

Check the centre web for damage and twist. The barrel could be sleeved, rods need to be checked and ideally honed true despite how good they may appear. Same goes with the small end, despite the manuals stating little to no wear occurs I can say for certain that it does. I had 11 set checked out by the local machine shop and all sets had ovality issues! Now they are sat reconditioned in my shed.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

i feel your pain , sorry to see whats happened
provide you clean barrel and crack check it should be OK, is there any way that as Rob suggests that the center web was wrong was round blocking oil to the big ends and center web ?
Was everything free to rotate when fitted ?

good luck with rebuild
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

The crank was a little stiff when assembled but I put this down to new rings and a fresh boring. The centre web was installed correctly as the timing side journal got plenty of oil and my return line showed good circulation. This is why I was lulled into believing all was okay. Upon dismantling I found evidence of old oil sludge in the drive side journal. My fault entirely, with dire consequences. Thanks for your empathy. I’m determined to get it running again.