how many fuel taps ?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
SCOTT TURKINGTON

how many fuel taps ?

Post by SCOTT TURKINGTON »

Hi, looking at Matchless petrol tanks I see that most have two fuel taps.
The tank on my G12csr 1962 has only the one outlet.LH
What tank should be fitted? my tank has the kneeknocker badges , two front bolt mounting and two spiggots on rear for rubber band tie down.
I dont intend to change it, just curious.
Happy Christmas ... Scotty
Scotty
MalcW

Re: how many fuel taps ?

Post by MalcW »

SCOTT TURKINGTON wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:38 am Hi, looking at Matchless petrol tanks I see that most have two fuel taps.
The tank on my G12csr 1962 has only the one outlet.LH
What tank should be fitted? my tank has the kneeknocker badges , two front bolt mounting and two spiggots on rear for rubber band tie down.
I dont intend to change it, just curious.
Happy Christmas ... Scotty
My 1960 bike has 2 taps, and has 2 front mounting holes and a tongue at the back with a hole for a single mounting point. Yours effectively means you're running on permanent reserve, which is fine as long as you keep an eye on mileage & fuel level. Also, if the fuel is getting low, every time you use the side stand you will slosh fuel over to the left, which is good. Just a thought - is it a standard on/off tap or has someone fitted a different one with Normal and Reserve positions?

Malc
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

1962.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I’ve only ever worked on one 1962 bike and that had two taps, both 1/8BSP but I have four 1963 bikes and all of these only have one 1/4BSP tap. For 1962 the tank should have the two smaller lightweight knee rubbers, 1963 on has the sculpted tank with stick on knee rubbers. ‘62,63 and 64 all have knee-knocker badges.
I assume that the original petrol taps were of the combined normal/reserve type tap but all of mine use a normal tap and yes, it pays to check fuel level before setting off.
Interestingly some 1964 on bikes I’ve had have two petrol tap bosses but one is blanked off and others do have two taps. All of the ‘63 tanks I’ve seen only have one boss.
SCOTT TURKINGTON

Post by SCOTT TURKINGTON »

Thanks for all the replies, my questions answered in full, curiosity is a great thing and I believe that my tank is probably a 62' / 63' type sculpted and with the stick on knee rubbers..
I must get a look at the tap, it is possible that it has a reserve position. ( I dont like to fix anything if it isnt broken )
best regards Scotty
Scotty