Contrôle Technique for motorcycles

Forum rules
Bienvenue a  la section francaise du club AJS et Matchless. Ici vous pouvez ecrire en Francais ou en Anglais, poser des questions et obtenir des informations sur votre moto de la marque.

Que vous soyez proprietaire ou simplement interesse par la marque, vous etes ici bienvenu .
Groily

Contrôle Technique for motorcycles

Post by Groily »

I'm posting this in English to alert English-speaking members here in France to the position on CT tests for older machines, starting next year. Our French members, if they haven't already seen and digested it from other sources, can read the attachment and the French classic and rétro-moto press better than I can! The attachment here doesn't specify all of the stuff we need to know - that has to be dug out by reference to other bits of French legislation, in the "Code de la Route", but it DOES set out, in Annexe 1, what is to be tested, and what defects amount to a minor advisory, a major fault or a critical 'do not proceed'. (This covers mopeds, three-wheelers and 'voiturettes' as well.)

However, as I understand it (and please, any French members who understand it better than I do, correct any mistakes and add or amplify any points that need it):

1. From 25th April 2024, all machines built since 1994 will be subject to a three-yearly test from the age of Five. So that's a lot of our 'moderns' covered. (Cars, it's Four years and then every two, so I hope I have that right . . . but as my only 'modern' bike is 23 years old . . . not my primary area of interest!)

2. All machines from 1960 to 1994 IF REGISTERED AS VEHICLES de COLLECTION will be subject to a five-yearly test; while

3. pre-1960 machines so registered are exempt.

The date is a big disappointment I think. The FFVE (Fédération Française de Véhicules de l'Epoque) itself asked for a 1980 cut-off for motos de collection, but didn't succeed.

This is a far cry from the earlier chit-chat of 'visual inspection only' for oldies, but as the whole document is written to cover machines old AND modern, it is to be hoped that requirements will be judged in an appropriate context. VIN identity will be the first thing checked though, so it's going to be important to make sure that the info on reg docs is in line with frame numbers etc.

We won't really know what it all means and how it all works for a while yet. Personally, I have 2 exempt machines, 2 in the 'collection' category post-1960, and the one modern. I'm glad, given a fee of 72€ a pop for the CT test, that I don't still have the dozen or so machines I had until quite recently. Many friends and members will, though, be faced with very significant costs if they wish to keep multiple motorcycles on the road . . .

All somewhat galling frankly, given that the number of accidents and incidents caused by 'defects' in our kinds of machinery has always been the square root of zero, but we'll have to make the best of it, being grateful for the fact that we have been spared hitherto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Re: Contrôle Technique for motorcycles

Post by 56G80S »

That's a useful post, bearing in mind that Club members may attend IJRs using "modern" or late (post 1960) machines in the interests of actually arriving!

With luck I'll still be on the 1956 G80S so won't be affected.

And will arrive???

Johnny B
Groily

Post by Groily »

You should be OK on a UK reg machine subject to UK rules Johnny B - it's just we here who have to take on board the new régime.

There has never been an MOT equiv for ANY m/cycle in France before, old or new. But pressure from the usual suspects has eventually pushed France to introduce tests. Part Brussels, part eco-concerns, part a sense that we have 'got away with something' for too long.

Frankly, I can't find it in me to rile loudly against the idea for 100+bhp moderns, even if my XJR Yamaha isn't very new and isn't (that) powerful compared to many more recent machines. But I AM a bit sad that the rules on classics are being changed, because no-one has truly been able to identify an 'evil that needs to be addressed'. That would be the normal, acceptable, reason for imposing regulations on folk.

Not sure what it will translate into in practical terms. Could it be that there will be a small premium on pre-'60 machines (is there in the UK?), or maybe a drop in desirability and value of post-'60s . . . but I expect it will all settle down.

People hardest hit will probably be those with modern machines with non-conforming exhausts and other mods, but they'll find ways to conformity I expect. I'm not sure from reading all the bits about testing electrical systems whether chips will be checked for being standard, etc etc - but these aren't things to worry most of us here. I think for 'our bikes' there will need to be some leeway on decibels, and emissions, if modern standards are to be the norm. My AMC twins aren't that noisy, and I have choices of silencers in any event, but I would be annoyed if, say, my completely correct '66 650SS Dommie was picked up on noise (or, if its pair of Amal Monoblocs didn't match up to emission rules designed to suit fuel injection systems). I wonder, seriously, how Harley-Ds will get on - I don't think there's a quiet one of them on the planet is there?

Probably it'll all wash over but some folk are going to face high costs - and all in one go. As in the UK, there are many French enthusiasts of modest means who have a few machines in their care, and some have significant collections acquired over lifetimes. They are understandably not exactly thrilled.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the above as the French equivalent to the UK MOT test. Certainly within the UK, once you have found a tester who is "considerate" of older machines (noise levels, lighting performance, braking performance, etc.) you keep going back to them. It won't be too long before all the testers are trained on all "modern" machinery and trying to impose modern standards on older bikes just doesn't work.

At least in the UK, we now have an option of not having an MOT test on vehicles registered as "historic", although the full implications of not having a current MOT when attempting an insurance claim has yet to be understood.
Corners like a Lego man
Groily

Post by Groily »

Not wrong Eamonn. It's exactly what it is.
Tests here are run by government agencies basically (not by private garagistes etc who might be seen to 'feed a workshop') and the rules are completely standardised.
The Q will be to what extent, in light of the testing régime outlined, reasonable allowance is made for elderly vehicles. That's where there may be some mild variations, and no doubt there will be outlets with staff who are more, and less, au fait with elderly machines.
For elderly cars, it's pretty fair from my experience in the past with cars from the '30s to the '60s, so we'll see . . .

(Not sure what the 'implications of not having a current MOT' might be if one isn't required? Has that been tested? Here, as everywhere I think, it's the owner's responsibility to maintain things in a safe and roadworthy condition . . . . and not just for one day every few years!)