Oil Leak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Talos

Oil Leak

Post by Talos »

Hi All.
Can any help with this problem. I have a 1963 AJS 350 Sceptre. It is running and rideable but an ongoing project.I have changed the engine oil and it is returning fine. After riding it up and down by garage I have it stored in , noticed it is still smoking from exhaust, the plug has some oil on it and oil is leaking from where the exhaust enters the cylinder head. not much but noticeable. It has good compression and starts fine.
Could it be the needle screw adjusting oil feed to inlet valve, as I have read the oil feed adjustment could be open too much.
Or is it a case of the valve seals have gone. Thanks for any advice.
Tolly

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Tolly »

you've hit the nail on the head. Screw the valve oil feed in fully and then out about 1/16 th of a turn. There are no seals on the valve stems.
Hope this helps.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Expat

Post by Expat »

I think the rule of thumb for setting the oil metering screw is around 1/6th from fully closed. I’ve recently tied myself in knots over this until realizing that 1/6th is 60 degrees, give or take.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Talos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:59 pm After riding it up and down by garage I have it stored in , noticed it is still smoking from exhaust, the plug has some oil on it and oil is leaking from where the exhaust enters the cylinder head.
Welcome, Stephen.
A bit of its history might help.
Is the bike new to you, and for how long had it been stored or unused (by you or the previous owner)?

LATER EDIT.......
Maybe I should have said that my reason for asking the above is that as a new member/owner you may not be aware that (along with a couple of other possibilities) those are typical symptoms of wet-sumping.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Talos

Post by Talos »

Hi . All. Many thanks for all the replies. Yes I am new to classic motorcycle ownership. I bought this machine in July from Ebay and had it delivered. I have recently changed engine oil and gearbox oil and greased ,new plug , points set etc. I think it was unused for a time previously.
When changing the oil I could not find any in line gauze cylindrical filter.
Oil is returning ok when engine running, but as stated a bit smokey. If it is wet sumping will it just clear itself.? Also I will adjust the needle valve.
Thanks.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

If wet sumping it should clear, watch the return to the oil tank when the sump is clear the
return will become intermittent, but if it has been wet sumped it may take a few miles
to stop smoking.
Ralph

Talos

Post by Talos »

Thanks for the help.