Andrew Engineering Rear Hub Bearings - Dimensions

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CAB

Andrew Engineering Rear Hub Bearings - Dimensions

Post by CAB »

Hello all.

I've not had much time this year to work on the CSR. I have managed to strip the front wheel, have the rim re-chromed, reassemble with new spokes and install AMC Classic Spares/Andrew Engineering bearings (original axle was very bent....), get the drum skimmed and SAFTEK Green Gripper linings turned to size. I haven't ridden it yet but somehow I'm not expecting miracles but at least it looks nice....

Anyway, I have decided to give the rear brake the same treatment and try and ride it to see if the brakes have improved, before splashing out more money as I intend to strip it fully to get the rear rim re-chromed over winter.

I stripped off the rear drum (full width non QD wheel) and then decided to check the bearings and make sure everything was installed correctly in the hub to avoid any lockup(apart from greasing it and linings I've never had it apart). After removing the spring clip, seal cup & seal, I noticed the seal backing washer behind the seal/in front the spacer collar was missing (new one ordered) and instead of taper roller bearings I have cartridge bearings installed.

I managed to find the rear hub Andrew Engineering (AE) instructions on the forum(see attached)and pictures of the other AE parts (also attached), a sectioned rear hub photo (see viewtopic.php?t=30291) and various sketches. Note that these are labelled as additional AE front parts in the original post but I think these should be rear (having just installed a front set).

I then stripped the speedo drive side to find the seal incorrectly installed inside the seal cup (not on the outside towards the speedo gearbox), another spacer collar (not in the standard setup or in the AE instructions) sat on the outer ring of the seal cup, then a washer that might or might not be the small seal backing washer (new one ordered to be sure) between where the seal should be and the speedo drive.

In terms of the sketch from the other post: part 2) missing, an extra part similar to 1) installed on the speedo side on the outside of 16), the seal 17) installed on the left of 16) , 18) possibly incorrect.

I intend to reassemble as per the AE instructions when the parts arrive and if there are any doubts I will return the hub to standard with new original style taper rollers and original versions of the parts in the photos.

Before I go any further and to give me some peace of mind, does anyone know where to find drawings, dimensions or a long shot have the additional AE parts to hand that they can measure (as per the photo)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CAB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.