Weird loss of power and sound

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Expat

Re: Weird loss of power and sound

Post by Expat »

Good oh Eddie, look forward to the update.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Post by Expat »

So nice remade LT connection, crimped this time instead of soldered, points set at 0.015 and we’re set to go. Have to say there does seem to be more noticeable engine vibration on the road than before. Could this be due to the heavier piston upsetting the balance factor?

IMG_1569.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

At last we seem to have lift off after cleaning out carb again, checked fuel flow was good, timing was slightly retarded so reset that, carefully adjusted rocker clearances. Had another shakedown run today and all seems good, definitely more willing to pull and with a more aggressive, read louder, exhaust note. I’m very wary, perhaps overly so, of getting the engine too hot, not over revving or laboring up hills in top, as previous advice talks of careful running in with new piston etc. Not going much over 40mph on the flat, not many of them around here so just need to be aware I guess.

Will post separately on another issue.

Good news Eddie, ride on.
Keep shiny side up.

EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Steve, strange that |I needed to clean the carb twice too. Anyway it looks like you have reached the light at the end of the tunnel.
(Are any of your American friends talking to you given the way the Ryder Cup is going?) :)