1946 Front forks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tazmantic

1946 Front forks

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi all had a dabble with my project today (struggling) and I wanted to remove the stud that holds the brake plate on the left hand fork I presumed it unscrewed but now know it don’t and so I can only take it that it pushes out into the stanchion is this correct? I only want to remove it to see if I could fit a different front wheel as I have the 5 1/2 inch brake plate but that’s all are the correct wheels/brakes etc available or the usual hens teeth?

I’ve also discovered that the right hand stanchion is not I believe correct so I’ve added a couple of pics the L/H seems correct for the age 1946 but the R/H seems slightly more modern can anyone say what year it is and also if I can use them together or if I need to hunt out some replacement forks.

Cheers

P.s I realise that the front mudguard lugs are broken off :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tazmantic on Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Tazmantic

Re: Front forks

Post by Tazmantic »

So now spending the morning looking at the parts lists I can see that it is a bolt so that’s that one sorted and also I now believe the R/H lower Stanchion is possible 1952 so will they work together ??

Thanks
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

As you have now rightly guessed they are actually a very tight internal press fit and the leg has to be stripped completely to remove it. Heat the alloy up and you can use a gudgeon pin remover tool to extract it. Russell Motors have new ones, they even have some NOS sliders.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

ajscomboman wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:36 am As you have now rightly guessed they are actually a very tight internal press fit and the leg has to be stripped completely to remove it. Heat the alloy up and you can use a gudgeon pin remover tool to extract it. Russell Motors have new ones, they even have some NOS sliders.

Thanks I’ve now got the forks out just need to strip down and after trying to unscrew the stud with lock nuts and heat (before I searched parts list was given wrong info by someone) think the pin will now knock out.