1966 rear shocks

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Alexlib

1966 rear shocks

Post by Alexlib »

Hi All
New owner here , recently purchased a late 1966 G3 with Norton front shocks and I assume matching rear shocks, the suspension is quite hard, can I adjust the rear to soften the ride?
Thanks
Duncan

Re: 1966 rear shocks

Post by Duncan »

There should be a collar under the spring shrouds with what roughly looks like three steps in it that sits on an oval register on the shock body, use a suitable C spanner to rotate the collar to select one with less preload on the spring, adjust both to the same position.
If you have Hagon shocks the collar will enclose the register and steps making them hard to see.
Alexlib

Post by Alexlib »

Thank you , I think they are Girling shocks, so reading I can adjust the preload but not the spring rate , I guess if I want a softer ride I will need to replace the shocks
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Springs can be changed if you desire, there is a file on the Archive that gives spring colour codes and rates, although buying new is simpler, as you don't have the AMC casting on the end new shocks are readily available, NJB or Hagon will tailor springs to suit the customers requirements.
Alexlib

Post by Alexlib »

Great thanks , I will check the archive