1961 G80 gear selection

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jghep

1961 G80 gear selection

Post by jghep »

I'm a new member and recently acquired a1961 G80 which had a very 'clunky' gearchange probably due to a clutch which was dragging. I've fixed the clutch (hopefully) but removed the outer gearbox cover to replace the kick-start shaft oil seal. On reassembly, I can't select 4th gear and feel that I am probably missing something fundamental?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Must just add, the spares scheme and the people involved provide an excellent service.

Thanks Geoff
Duncan

Re: 1961 G80 gear selection

Post by Duncan »

Probably unlikely as you have not dived into the middle cover but could the indexing of the camplate be wrong, did you align the quadrant with the top stud of the gearbox when refitting the outer case? See page 67 for a description http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .NEILL.pdf
jghep

Post by jghep »

Thanks Duncan, I also think that as I haven't been 'into' the box it is more likely to be the incorrect reassembly of the outr case with respect to the indexing mechanism. Did you mean page 47 of the manual? Page67 refers to rear brakes, or am I looking at the wrong book? Page 47 says the camplate should be reassembled in 4th gear but mine hasn't been dismantled from he selectors or of course the gearbox. Is the manual telling us to reassemble the selector quadrant and outer case with the gearbox in 4th gear?
I haven't tried this as yet. Many thanks, Geoff
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

jghep wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:40 pm Did you mean page 47 of the manual? Page67 refers to rear brakes, or am I looking at the wrong book?

It is page 67 in the link that Duncan gave you. Click on the link in the last line of his post. (The F. Neil manual)........

(Apologies Duncan for my intervention - I just happen to have popped in to the Forum).

Page 67.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
jghep

Post by jghep »

Thanks Spriddler for your 'intervention' and pointing out my error. I now have managed to download the correct information from Duncan. The information is very similar to that I was reading from what I thought was the manufacturer's manual but my question still remains to those who have experience of these things, should the gearbox outer cover be reassembled with the gearbox in 4th gear to ensure engagement of all the gears?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

jghep wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 pm .......my question still remains to those who have experience of these things, should the gearbox outer cover be reassembled with the gearbox in 4th gear to ensure engagement of all the gears?
I've rarely had to do much to gearboxes but a glance at page 67 in Duncan's link and Fig 18 seems to indicate that yes; it's necessary to have it in 4th gear and align the quadrant.
Page 67 d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes but this is done before fitting the gears and inner cover. He only removed the outer cover so the problem must be the selector mechanism in the outer cover. Is the spring fitted the right way round?
Dave
jghep

Post by jghep »

Thanks guys. As both Dave and Duncan say, the gearbox itself hasn't been touched so the position of the cam plate relative to gear cluster can't have changed. The selector spring is fitted the correct way as stated in the manual(s), apparently this can also cause selection trouble. So I will select 4th gear by moving the cam plate mechanism manually and refit the selector quadrant and outer cover and see what happens. I will report back.
Thanks again, Geoff
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:21 pm Yes but this is done before fitting the gears and inner cover.
Quite so, Dave, but it's a recently acquired bike and if 4th selected beforehand and Geoff only removed the outer and replaced the k/start seal............. :?
Hopefully Geoff will let us know the solution.