Wire circlips, gudgeon pin and JP pistons - moved from General Topics

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Wire circlips, gudgeon pin and JP pistons - moved from General Topics

Post by 56G80S »

Moved this from General Topics to Help

Back on the JP piston. I thought I'd fit it to the conrod today. Out of idle curiosity I thought I'd check the fit of the gudgeon pin in the piston. It was weird. On one side, the pin will slide in with a little force by hand until it is just about to exit the boss inside the piston. I usually have to warm the piston up. On the other side, the pin won't enter at all, which I find more usual. In the past I've managed OK with the hot cloths and thick rubber gloves, never had to resort to hot air gun.

I've entirely forgotten how to fit those nasty wire gudgeon pin circlips (wrist pin). I clearly did this successfully previously as that was what was in when I damaged the nicely relined standard bore when at, or riding to, the Hampshire Jampot. I remember that they were a sod to remove.

Tips welcomed. I looked at some vids on YouTube but those mostly were for pistons with a little recess to aid removal and installation. I'm particularly concerned about which way to have the tang in relation to rotation and also whether it has to be at 12:00 noon or 18:00.

Having said that, the old style circlip with "ears" failed on the way to the Polish IJR and wrecked the bore, hence the reline.

Johnny B
56G80S

Re: Wire circlips, gudgeon pin and JP pistons - moved from General Topics

Post by 56G80S »

Solved this as well. Daft as it may seem, I hadn't thought to practice with the old clips, piston and gudgeon pin. Worked out a reliable technique and all went smoothly.

Johnny B