Anti wet sump tap

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Anti wet sump tap

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

I’m looking to fit an anti-wet sump tap. I appreciate all the pros and cons and will best mitigate any problems. My question is has anyone fitted a tap to a G3LS or similar with the 3/8 copper oil pipe? I ask this as most tap designs incorporate push fit type connections that are unsuitable for the copper oil pipe. My friendly plumber gave me a suitable tap and a length of 10mm copper tubing. All looked good until I found that 3/8 pipe was just that too big to enter the compression fittings and 10mm olive of the tap (no surprise I suppose ). I had hoped to locate some sort of adapter, to join the imperial to the metric, but to no avail. Using lengths of additional neoprene fuel pipe and jubilee clips to adapt is proving a non starter for various fitting reasons. All the time trying to retain the neoprene pipe with the oil feed filter. Any ideas or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Re: Anti wet sump tap

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I have a domestic washing machine pipe tap on my '54 G3LS which was fitted by a PO when I bought it 18 years ago.
Soon after I got it I had to completely rebuild the engine and removed the plastic on/off lever from the tap to prevent riding with the tap shut and didn't have any significant wet sumping.
Oil tap 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler,

That looks a neat solution. Just a couple of points. Did you maintain the mesh filter within the feed pipe from the oil tank? Did you need any adapter to fix the tap to the copper pipe? I’m assuming the copper pipe is the original, non metric, one. My problem was that the imperial (3/8”) original copper pipe, was too large for the standard 10mm fittings available.

Regards,

Steve
Expat

Post by Expat »

Off topic but are there tell tale signs in the pic of grease having been used to lube the swing arm pivot?? :o
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, the mesh filter is fitted in the feed pipe.
I don't know whether the tap is for 1/2" or the later 15mm copper pipe as it is what was/is there and I haven't had reason to measure it. (I've used 1/2" fittings on 15mm or vice versa for house plumbing jobs). I can't get to the bike at the mo as it's behind another bike and I can't manoeuvre them one-handed. I suspect the tap is 1/2". As far as I know it's the original copper feed pipe. Since copper pipe is defined by its o.d. and 'rubber' pipe by its i.d. I assume that they all slip inside/outside each other as there are no adapters.
The same piece of copper feed pipe runs all the way from the tap to the c/case. Here's a pic I took years go........
At crankcase.JPG
and a wider angle pic of the tap end........
Oil tap.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Expat wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:12 am Off topic but are there tell tale signs in the pic of grease having been used to lube the swing arm pivot?? :o
Ahem........yes. It should be oiled, but there's no discernible wear after my 40k+ miles touring o'er hill 'n dale and goodness knows how many miles before me.
At the ripe old age of 78 it'll see me out. ;)

On a 2 months 3,200 (faultless) miles solo camping trip, France, Spain, Andorra...........
Marigold at St Emilion.JPG

Crossing the Pyrenees at the highest metalled road in freezing fog, the remote Col du Tourmalet, the view was ........indescribable (but I knew there was a big drop somewhere over there)............
Freezing fog.JPG

And camping to the Milan IJR and back with Thrifty Peter...........
Italy Jampot 2.jpg
Italy Jampot (3).jpg
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun May 28, 2023 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Cheers Sprid. Great pics and I bow to your far greater experiences of touring and preparation for same than I. Not trying to nit pick, it’s only that my recent purchase of another old Brit bike has reminded me of that aspect of maintenance. :)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Brilliant pictures! Thanks for info Spriddler. It makes sense if the tap is a few years old and is Imperial. I’ll fettle along with it to see what I can conjure up. Hopefully not too‘Heath Robinson’!
Regards,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Morning all,

Completed the fitting of anti wet sump tap. Found a neat little brass tap online for £6 which states for fuel and oil use so should be O.K. Bit of an adjustment and tinkering and fits in without obstructing anything. BIG warning label on speedo to remember to turn on!
Cheers to all,

Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I thought the swinging arm lubrication was SAE140? I usually put it in with the Matchless on the side stand and using the body (no needle) of a hypodermic syringe. I keep going until I can't get more in so probably overfill.

I mislaid the bottle of SAE140, bought some more and inevitably found the original. If anyone wants some, I doubt I'll use it all................

Johnny B