Late G12 now restored

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Les Howard

Late G12 now restored

Post by Les Howard »

Finished the late G12 recently. Goes very nice and does not leak oil I'm pleased with it....
P1080838S.jpg
P1080834S.jpg
P1070481Sa.jpg
P1070546S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Re: Late G12 now restored

Post by Duncan »

The late ones are nice looking bikes.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Les Howard wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:30 pm Finished the late G12 recently. Goes very nice and does not leak oil I'm pleased with it....
Congratulations to a splendid job,and I am pleased to hear the engine is free of leaks.
I concure with Duncan.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Nice job Les. Well done.
Dave.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Grand machine,the reward for hours of effort getting to the end product. Nice one.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Thanks very much all of you. You are very kind. It took a long time several years (but not continuous). The tank still has the original paint, but I eventually will have it repainted but then again it's nice to have a tank that is not a "target" when you leave the bike parked anywhere. The original exhaust pipes are very good metal wise but maybe at the end of the year I will have them re-chromed. I did have to completely remove and rebuild the engine after the first completion as it leaked at the oil filter cross crankcase joint. (the supplied gasket was far too thick creating a gap either side of it)...This time there are no leaks but I find I have to look with partially closed and squinting eyes after a run, just in case they start. It frightens me at the moment but everyride I start to relax more that it is oil tight. (am I tempting fate by even talking about it?) This is the brochure picture that made me want one. It does look very handsome:
MATCHLESS BROCHURE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Les,
Hard to believe exhaust pipes are still the genuine ones. Bike must have been in a dry storage for a long time!

My disassembled '64 G12CSR is still crying for a ground-up restauration. Last major bits (mudguards) secured last year. Are these engines hard to keep oil tight? If so, improving crancase breathing may be the answer. Breather valve 025298 looks small for en engine displacement this size.

I am looking for the original Vokes air filter (or a repro thereof). Does your bike have an air filter? Paul Allen wrote an excellent "saga" of how he obtained an air filter for his '63 G15/45. As his bike is of the 1963 facelift type, the air filter has p/n 029530 which was retained for 1964-66. A pain to service, I'd still like to fit this. Any idea where I may obtain the filter body is welcome.

- Knut
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi mdt-son. yes the exhausts pipes are deffinitely original. They have scuffs and I have repaired a dent in them by drilling and welding but I have polished and buffed them and look pretty good if you don't look too closely. Will cost £200 to rechrome but waiting time for completion is too long at this time of year as I wanted to ride it now. It has no air filter just the small bell-mouth that breathes through the rear frame cover panel. The 2x piece cover panel is very awkward to fit, in fact I had to remove the carb, fit it and then refit the carb. :(
Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

mdt-son wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:31 pm Hi Les,
Hard to believe exhaust pipes are still the genuine ones. Bike must have been in a dry storage for a long time!

My disassembled '64 G12CSR is still crying for a ground-up restauration. Last major bits (mudguards) secured last year. Are these engines hard to keep oil tight? If so, improving crancase breathing may be the answer. Breather valve 025298 looks small for en engine displacement this size.

I am looking for the original Vokes air filter (or a repro thereof). Does your bike have an air filter? Paul Allen wrote an excellent "saga" of how he obtained an air filter for his '63 G15/45. As his bike is of the 1963 facelift type, the air filter has p/n 029530 which was retained for 1964-66. A pain to service, I'd still like to fit this. Any idea where I may obtain the filter body is welcome.

- Knut
Hej Knut
I own a late G12 1965 too ( just a bit modyfyed), see attached foto. If you want me to I think I have some drawings I made from the Vokes filter in my bike. (I believe it was original)
G12 085.jpg
Regards Ib
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Les, thanks for your reply. Yes, I can imagine fitting the cover panels is an awkward exercise with carburettor in place. Fitting an air filter is highly recommended. It increases longevity of the engine immensely.

Hi Ib-Denmark! Thank you for your reply and the nice picture. Bike looks well maintained!
If you can find drawings, I'd appreciate receiving copies (either on paper or digitally). I have the corresonding Vokes air filter for the singles. The twin version is basically identical, apart from the outlet stub which is kinked in order to line up with the centrally mounted carb.

Best regards,
Knut