anti wet sumping tap.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
MalcW

Re: anti wet sumping tap.

Post by MalcW »

Could you just fit a small extension onto the lever of the tap so that it fouls the kickstart in the Off position? If you ride the bike a lot it could save a lot of cable ties!

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:19 pm Could you just fit a small extension onto the lever of the tap so that it fouls the kickstart in the Off position? If you ride the bike a lot it could save a lot of cable ties!
Or just put a hole in the wooden block large enough to slip it over the kickstart rubber?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

what about one of these disc lock reminder cables , then its hidden away and you can keep on the bike attached under the saddle perhaps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313670231233
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:25 pm I really don't advise an oil tap without an ignition linked earth. I know so many members who have wrecked engines by forgetting to turn on. Some even had foolproof systems to stop them doing it.
Well your system certainly looks foolproof, until you just take the cable tie and wood off and receive a phone call on your mobile at that very moment. After a lengthy conversation off you go still with the oil tap in the off position. Sounds unlikely but exactly this occurred a few years ago to a member, despite his foolproof system, and unfortunately a conrod made a bid for freedom.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

thanks for all the recommendations and good advice,the bike is used perhaps once or twice a month,well it will be now i dont have to drain the oil out of the crankcase and chaincase.having spent a working lifetime running a garage business i always finish the job i am doing [wheel nuts, cylinder head torquing etc] before i think about answering the phone.dont mean to come across as all knowing,but if i hadnt done this the bike would see very little use.fingers crossed lets hope all will go well and i dont live to regret this modification.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

You could use one of the vacuum ones Velo use I ran velo for years and the only problem I had was in cold weather if you don’t run it long enough to thin the oil they could stick open as the weak spring struggled to close the valve
Ralph