Establishing Bike Polarity prior to connecting up new solid state Rectifier/Regulator

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
AFPU

Establishing Bike Polarity prior to connecting up new solid state Rectifier/Regulator

Post by AFPU »

Hi All

It has been a while and I am now gettng back to recommissioning the bike (1961 G12 CSR) I bought a while back from Kettering Classics.

I am finally getting around to fitting the solid state regulator/rectifier (A Reg One) from Paul Goff and am after a bit of help as I am not good with electrics?

I ruined the original one fitted by connecting the battery up the wrong way round as both connecting wires are black and not identified in any way….and silly me forgot to note which was which when I removed the battery as part of the initial strip down prior to recommissioning the bike.

I am therefore loath to make the same mistake twice and am hoping that the way the original solid state regulator/rectifier was connected might give a clue as to the bikes polarity.

The connections were as follows from the loom:

• Green/Black to Rectifier/Regulator Yellow
• Green/White to Rectifier/Regulator Yellow
• Red 1 & Red 2 to Rectifier/Regulator Yellow and then to Battery
• Brown to Rectifier/Regulator Black and then to Battery

So does the above give a clue to which is the positive connection to the battery or how I might establish such?

Once I get these right I can make up new connections that are clearly identifiable to avoid any future issues.

Here’s hoping you can help.
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"
AFPU

Re: Establishing Bike Polarity prior to connecting up new solid state Rectifier/Regulator

Post by AFPU »

Hi All

All sorted now thanks to Paul Goff!!
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"