Abandoned AJS Cadwell 125

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Abandoned AJS Cadwell 125

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Or my Chinese 250.......
Mutchless logo 2016-04-29 003 (640x480).jpg

or the previous 125........

Grudge logo (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

While some of the comments on this subject might be amusing (especially to those posting) they are precisely the sort of thing that gets the club and its members described as snobbish and unhelpful (or worse) on social media.
AJS provide buyers of their bikes with a year’s club membership and therefore access to the forums. It’s hoped that some users of the Chinese bikes just might become enamoured with the AJS&MOC community and progress to ownership of a classic bike. Let’s be honest we certainly need new blood and younger members to replace our aging demographic.
Every time there’s a rude or disparaging comment about what is, after all, someone else’s pride and joy it’s not just that person who gets a bad impression of the club and it’s members but also any other owners that they have a conversation with about their experience of the club.
Quite a few members have purchased these machines when they struggle with the weight of the old iron and are happy with them, so if they are not for you fine but just consider what impression of the club an unkind or “amusing” comment can give potential members or the motorcycling community
It's all just riding motorbikes
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Morning bigwol. I appreciate where you're coming from but you've completely missed the humour. I own a Chinese AJS and it is one of my favourites. Always starts, never lets me down, always gets me home. Below is a picture of it. I've never had a problem laughing at myself of others laughing at me.
fl.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

My apologies to anyone who owns a Chinese AJS or doesn't own one but feels offended. No offence was implied or meant. They are great bikes and welcome in my garage any time. Please have a lovely day.

Big love, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

bigwol wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 pm While some of the comments on this subject might be amusing (especially to those posting) they are precisely the sort of thing that gets the club and its members described as snobbish and unhelpful (or worse) on social media.
Fair point, Dave. There's certainly no justification or intention for snobbishness on the forums which have always been sprinkled with the banter that one would enjoy at a rally pub or club night. However there is the risk of banter, often self-deprecating, being seen as criticism.

We all have a common interest and I have many times returned and helped an unknown biker regardless of their machine who I've seen fiddling with his bike at the side of the road, whether it's for a spanner, spark plug or a drop of petrol. I make a point of trying to help/encourage those, (often impecunious youngsters who are new to bikes), who post on our Modern AJS forum.

I've not been able to ride my Matchless since a disabling crash twelve years ago so a modern bike is the only way I can continue riding. As I mentioned in my first post, my 250 Chinese bike is uninspiring but reliable as it isn't the same fun or challenge or as satisfying to ride, partly because it never needs anything doing to it and doesn't conk out miles from home in the rain.

I would have bought a modern AJS but after learning to ride again on a Honda 90 Cub (including 100 miles with camping gear to a Jampot rally), then a 125 Honda (tedious and vision-blurring near zero torque at 8,200 rpm, its 60 mph max) I wanted a 250 for a bit more grunt and fewer gear changes for longer trips, especially upcoming trips around France and the longer ride to tour Spain and back.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

I remember you coming to grief on your C90 at the Kent International Neville and also your much adapted Honda 125. The trouble with humour Spookefoote and banter is it’s often misunderstood by people who don’t know those making the comments and while I appreciate no offence may be meant I’ve witnessed many comments on social media platforms about our attitude towards the Chinese bikes and their owners. I have of course sung the praises of the club and the wonderful people who are its members but it’s a first impression we shouldn’t be giving.
I actually think that the cadwell and tempest are great little bikes and good value for money (although some of the early ajs models weren’t as good).
Summer is coming so let’s get out there riding those bikes whatever they are
It's all just riding motorbikes