fuel catalyst

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Greybeard

Re: fuel catalyst

Post by Greybeard »

There have always been those that will happily buy snake oil. As far as I am aware no scientific supporting evidence has ever been presented to justify any of the claims.

Steve
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

The “lead” in petrol is in fact Tetraethyllead or C8H20Pb.
A complex compound mostly hydrogen and carbon.
It is a liquid at room temperature and mixes with petrol.
The lead in a tin amalgam commonly known as solder will not dissolve in petrol.

My favourite snake oil is the magnet that fits to a fuel pipe and “aligns the molecules of petrol to improve combustion”.
So after the petrol leaves the magnet it travels through a filter then through a needle jet, bounces off the top of the float and jiggles about in the float chamber where eventually it gets pulled into a metering jet mixed with air in an emulsion tube before being squirted into a fast flowing stream of air.

Then it finds it’s way past a throttle valve an inlet valve and tries to follow a piston as it travels down the cylinder to then be surprised as the piston suddenly reverses it direction and compresses the mixture into a tiny space. As the spark jumps the electrodes of the spark plug, we are told the petrol molecules are still all pointing in the same direction.

Yes of course they are.

Harry
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Sounds like a re-jigging of the 'Fuel Star' which was marketed in Australia and NZ when leaded fuel was phased out in the early 2000s. It was plumbed into the fuel and was supposed to leach tin (?) into the fuel to replace the lead. I duly fitted it to two cars and my G80S. When the internet came along a little research proved I'd been ripped off. The story I've been told about valve seats is vehicles with aluminum heads, most motorcycles and my cars, have inserts which will cope with unleaded fuel. The problem is with cast iron heads like your old Cortina or Mini. Wouldn't it be best to drain the carbs and tank and slosh some oil around the petrol tank?