Exhaust camwheels

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
56G80S

Exhaust camwheels

Post by 56G80S »

Pair in vice, rear.jpg
While I was at the Matchless this afternoon, I also did a little stocktaking. I can't find the SH exhaust camwheel that I used to run with (but with a standard inlet).

I do have two other camwheels., one marked H and with the 3 dots marking and another, marking absent, but the 2 dot version. I think the 2 dot one is a tad "lumpier" than the H cam and may be closer to the SH that I can't find. I's really the condition that IKBA about.

The left hand, lumpier, one looks to be in better condition to me. I'll be using the 350 setting anyway but could use the 3 dot H cam as a guide and check timing with the Ken de Groome method, using the peaks of the cams.

Sorry the pics are jumbled up, but the annotations should make things understandable.

Cheers

Johnny B

Trying to add some pics, if they don't exceed the size limit.
Right hand, marked H, cam face.jpg
Right hand, marked H, cam face 2.jpg
Left hand, cam face.jpg
[attachment=0]Left hand, cam face 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Re: Exhaust camwheels

Post by g80csp11 »

If the bikes a keeper , and you want to get SH cams back in it then Steve @ AMCclassic has a limited number of new replacements but I know he was low on stock
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Having run my 18S with SH cams for some years, in conjunction with an 8.5 to 1 piston, I have reverted to standard H cams, but using 350 settings. Although the SH cams give more power, the difference in practical riding is not much, and the SH exhaust cam makes a lot of noise. In addition, while not particularly 'peaky', the motor will not run happily below 35-40 in top, so town work (and there's a lot of that since I moved to Berkshire from the wilds of Wiltshire!) is not so pleasant as with my standard G80S. Also, I have also reached the age where comfort is preferable to outright speed. Cheers, Andy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks, both of you. I had originally planned to fit the lightweight rocker arms as well but am rushing to get the Matchless reassembled.

Andy, it's some time since I ran the H inlet and SH exhaust combo which worked for me at the time. I'm in orth Yorks, little town riding. I do wish to have a little more "in hand" on longer trips, loaded with camping gear on dual carriageway and motorways.

Cheers

Johnny B