How to fit oil tap to 1964 G3 short stroke

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Lionel

How to fit oil tap to 1964 G3 short stroke

Post by Lionel »

I've a 1964 350 G3 short stroke with Norton oil pump and even using Silkolene straight 50 it wet sumps quite badly. Engine rebuilt by well respected AMC expert so don't think it's a faulty pump just the nature of the beast. I need to reluctantly fit a tap but would appreciate some advice on what sort and where on feed line to fit it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers Lionel
Taid

Re: How to fit oil tap to 1964 G3 short stroke

Post by Taid »

If you are going to fit a tap, you must think about how you are going to ensure you never forget to open it before starting the engine ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Groily

Post by Groily »

Something like this one from Feked (and probably others) might do the trick - this one is for coil ignition. Diameters might be something to address, not sure what the plumbing dimensions (or available space under oil tank etc) on short strokes are.
Oil line tap coil ign.jpg
This is how I have done a Norton, for pennies using a B&Q plumbing valve and an earth for a magneto. Much the cheapest way and can be configured to work with battery coil ignition with a bit of fettling.
Norton oil line tap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

Yes point about fail- safe to ensure one doesn,t ride off with oil still switched off is vital- I,ve got idea for that !
If I fit a tap in the oil line it effectively reduces internal diameter of the line so not sure what diameter is ok and won't impede oil supply to engine.
Anyone any ideas on that ? !
Taid

Post by Taid »

Feked (and others) sell in-line taps for that purpose .. option to include switch ..

I have a Feked on my 16ms .. but have found switch occasionally sticks (safely) .. needs a squirt of WD40 a couple of times a year to keep it free ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Groily

Post by Groily »

Lionel wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:34 pm If I fit a tap in the oil line it effectively reduces internal diameter of the line so not sure what diameter is ok and won't impede oil supply to engine.
Anyone any ideas on that ? !
I think most of the proprietary offerings are 1/4" id ish, but could be wrong. I have made 5/16ths bore inlets and outlets on my own ones, with 8mm or even 10mm valves. But I suspect it's just overkill, as I never heard tell of an inadequate rate of feed from the ones you can buy.
AMC used larger bore pipes, copper or neoprene, than some others (on the twins anyway) but the id of the feed outlet from the oil tank is - I guess - the thing to go by.
On the Norton shown I modded the steel pipework with collars to increase o.d. so I could get the bits of flexi pipe to fit snugly. Would look better with ferrules than worm-drive clips, I know, but as ever you get to 'works well' and then don't revisit quite the way you planned! One day . . .
It's a bit easier with a magneto in the sense that you just need to earth out the points, same as the kill button does; but in another sense it's harder as the use of neoprene or rubber sections means there's no earth from the tap until you create something, whereas with a coil the switch will simply cut the power supply.