Rear Carrrier

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
altette

Rear Carrrier

Post by altette »

I wonder if anyone can advise me on where I might find a rear carrier for my bog standard 1955 Matchless G3L - The spares scheme seems to be biased toward riders of 1959 machines with three variants available for this year, two of which are 1959 only !!

A casual look at these racks encourages me to think that they may be persuaded to fit my machine but I don't want to make a wasted purchase (quite Pricey) and then have to sell it on to a '59 rider (All of whom probably have one due to abundant availability !!)..

Any advice gratefully received...
Taid

Re: Rear Carrrier

Post by Taid »

I think the main difference is due to the width of the rear mudguard .. wider on the earlier bikes .. I bought a used 59 carrier (thinking it was the same to fit to to my 56 16ms , but I found I had to spread the legs to fit it .. after about 6 months one of the legs broke, presumably due to stress cold spreading the legs ..

Open to correction on any of the above ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Duncan

Re: Rear Carrrier

Post by Duncan »

altette wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:29 pm I wonder if anyone can advise me on where I might find a rear carrier for my bog standard 1955 Matchless G3L - The spares scheme seems to be biased toward riders of 1959 machines with three variants available for this year, two of which are 1959 only !!

A casual look at these racks encourages me to think that they may be persuaded to fit my machine but I don't want to make a wasted purchase (quite Pricey) and then have to sell it on to a '59 rider (All of whom probably have one due to abundant availability !!)..

Any advice gratefully received...
One period option is a Craven carrier there are usually a few used ones at larger bike autojumbles, or they are available new again https://craven-equipment.co.uk/index.php/bikeracks and can usually be made to fit most bikes.