Post by mikeydpippin »

I’m looking to buy a twin
Does this look a genuine bike?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 149723669/
Mike
g5wqian

Re: Looking to buy

Post by g5wqian »

looks like its a fair representation Mike .
obviously it has a couple of additions at the front mudguard and the headlight but other than that it looks ok .

mine is a 56 model so has burman box and jampot shocks , the one you are looking at will have amc gearbox which is correct and it also has the later rear shocks .

the amc gearbox is a very good gearbox and has been much used by the racing fraternity .

a 600cc engine will have 7 fin barrels , a 650 is 8 fins .

there are 2 different types of points contacts used on the K2F magnetos , early is cast brass carrier with screw in/out points and the later is a metal plate and spring affair , both are good and i have both types but i run the bike with the later type .

im not sure if you should have E3L dynamo or an alternator but you have the alloy primary chain case which was fitted 1957 onwards , i think some models may have had dynamo and alloy chaincase and then later on they had no dynamo and had an alternator in the primary case .

make sure the oil runs back into the oil tank it would be a steady weep at the hole near the filler top .

if its a 600 the bore /stroke is more square than the later 650 and it will rev easily , it should go like stink if you open it up and would reach about 95 flat out if you dare , but you will think its going to blow up at that ha ha because it will probably vibrate and allsorts .

from 0-80mph is very quickly achieved and about as much stress as you would want to give it , great to do but is a guilty affair these days when you want to look after things .

to start mine i just give it a bit of retard , 1/4" , tickle it , choke it , small amount of throttle and kick it , it may chuff at first but tickle again and it will probably fire into life , then back choke off half way till a bit warmed up , shouldnt need choke for very long at all .

advance/retard lever doesnt move much , less than 1/4 turn for max retard , its fully advanced when lever is closed .

should make a whining noise when ticking over which is quite a pleasant sound , the rockers may get more noisey when it is hot .

may have a more lumpy tickover if you leave it advanced all time when riding it , i like it myself .

be carefull leaving on centre stand on concrete with engine running up from cold because when the revs increase it can have tendency to "walk backwards" if revs go above a certain point .

great bikes , loads of torque and dont need to change down much , cruising at 55-60mph is a nice spot normally but over this you might find more oil leaks out .

they do have tendency for oil to creep out from the joint between head and barrel where the rocker oil galleries pass through and can weep oil from the dynamo to timing case area , i dont really worry about a small amount on mine and just give it a blow over with a can of brake cleaner every now and then .

i think you are supposed to oil the swinging arm although it looks like a grease nipple there , many have been caught out including myself .

i dont know about the price of the bike , i bought mine a fair few years ago .

the club spares scheme is great and the forum is brilliant if you have questions or want technical info etc .

club nights are good but im afraid i cant make it to them as i have commitments and work to deal with , otherwise id be a regular at my local branch .

cheers
ian
MalcW

Re: Looking to buy

Post by MalcW »

"I'm not sure if you should have E3L dynamo or an alternator but you have the alloy primary chain case which was fitted 1957 onwards , I think some models may have had dynamo and alloy chaincase and then later on they had no dynamo and had an alternator in the primary case .

The Deluxe (DL) models had the option of an E3L and magneto for a while. That's the setup my 650 has.

Malc