18s 1952 noisy clutch

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Johno@

18s 1952 noisy clutch

Post by Johno@ »

Need some advice
My 1952 18s has developed a very noisy clutch when the lever is pulled, any ideas what may need doing before I strip it?
spookefoote1956

Re: 18s 1952 noisy clutch

Post by spookefoote1956 »

What kind of noise?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Could the clutch hub nut be loose revealing the noise when you pull the lever in?
Groily

Post by Groily »

In the case of my own Burman clutch (similar to yours presumably) a very audible rattle when disengaged is due to wear on the grooves on the basket along which the outside lugs of the plates slide. Irritating rather than particularly disquieting and hard to rectify short of investing in a better basket, it's a long term wear and tear thing.

This wouldn't account for a 'new' noise out of the blue, though, if that is what you are facing.

Iron Head's suggestion would likely be on point if it's happened suddenly. If the hub is loose, though, you'd expect to have experienced some funnies in terms of slack developing at the lever on the 'bars.

Another possibility is that one or more of the spring cups has backed off and is kissing the inside of the dome on the primary cover when the pressure plate is lifted.

Depends rather on the nature of the noise - graunch, rattle, continuous, regular tick clack or clonk, etc - as Spookefoote asks.
clive

Post by clive »

Your 52 box should be a GB type. Operation is achieved by two plates with 3 ball bearings trapped between rotating relative to each other. If the push rod is not properly adjusted operation can result is a sharp clicking noise. Unless there is considerable wear in the components this can be prevented by correct adjustment of the pushrod clearance. (slacken off the cable, turn rod adjuster in until tight , turn back 1/2 turn, lock the nut, it should be the same size as the plug spanner I think, readjust cable)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the forums, John.

I tend to suspect the same as Clive has mentioned above. Bear in mind the the adjuster on the end of the cable at the g/box housing only adjusts the amount of cable slack and does not adjust the clutch. You don't have to remove the outer cover on the chaincase to adjust the clutch but can access the pushrod adjusting screw through the small inspection plate. It's a bit tricky to tighten its locknut without spoiling the setting of the adjusting screw but it can be done. If you do decide to remove the outer cover of the (notoriously leak-prone) chaincase I recommend fitting the later improved rubber sealing band available from club spares here:

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=23441

If you don't have them you can access the factory Owners and Workshop manuals here under 'Books'

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

spookefoote1956 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:48 pm What kind of noise?
Nudge
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Nudge?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Is it a continuous rotating/scraping noise when the engine's running or a clicking when the h/bar lever is operated with the engine stopped?

spookefoote1956 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:00 pm Nudge?
A 'Nudge' keeps the topic visible as the latest post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 pm
spookefoote1956 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:00 pm Nudge?
A 'Nudge' keeps the topic visible as the latest post.
Exactly, I don't think we saw an answer to the question...it would be very helpful for diagnosis.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire