Front brake cable and hub bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
The Vandal

Front brake cable and hub bearings

Post by The Vandal »

I noticed that my front brake cable was about maxed out on the adjuster but knowing that my bike is a bit of a bitsa I ordered a new one incase it had the wrong one fitted (was also slightly worried that it was because my shoes were worn out but more on that in a moment).

I propped the bike up to clean the front rim today and noticed a bit of play in the bearings so pulled the wheel off to see if I could adjust the play out.

I got the nut outside the brake plate off, brake plate off (and put my mind at ease that there was a good amount of material left on the shoes) and then another nut and spacer/washer. That was as far as I could get on that side.

On the other side I removed the lockring that holds the thin cover on and that was all she wrote on that sisde really. Nothing else to remove or adjust. Tried a whack on the end of the axle and it didn't budge.

I notice that the on this non-brake side the central bore is a bit chewed up.

I cleaned some crud out of the brake side and I think I can see a circlip in there but it doesn't have easily accessible ends or anything.

I've attched a few images belkow, anyone think anything looks amiss? Other than the evidence of the previous, hamfisted mechanic of course :headbang:

Removing all that didn't seems to make anything any looser at least?

I googled 'matchless g3 front hub bearing' and saw a load of results saying a bit of play is the norm. Looked at the image results and they didn't help me figure anything out.

Chucked it all back together and tried doing the nut on the inside of the brake plate up a little tighter, got it a bit further but didn't remove much of the play.

Should I just buy a grease gun and pump some grease into it?

Back to the brake cable, having reassured myself that there was meat on the shoes I thought, I'll bung the new cable on, it must be shorter and the adjuster will sit better.

It's blooming longer!

Not sure if I have a non standard brake, lever or what. Lever is a standard looking Doherty type (infact I bought a replacement as I don't need the built in choke lever with the carb I've fitted and it took up even less space on the cable so wasn't able to use it!). Brake plate is as seen below.

Can I shorten the cable and attach my own nipple on one of the ends? Is it better to do a soldered/molten nipple or would one with a mechanical fastening suffice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Re: Front brake cable and hub bearings

Post by Duncan »

Its best you start by studying the manual, see page 65 http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf . It looks like Mr Chisel has visited your adjusting ring on the timing side of the hub. The nut (11) is there to position the brake plate this shouldn't be tightened fully down with out checking that it is not fouling the seal holder (2) and that the brake shoes are not fouling inside the hub. The bearings are tapered roller so do need a minimal amount of play some grease would also keep them happy.
clive

Post by clive »

looks like Mr Chisel may have a pal Mr Rust and I would be inclined to check out what is happening to the bearing. Having said that I think the owners manual advice on play in the bearing is perceptable movement at the rim. good luck with freeing up that adjuster.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Drunclej

Post by Drunclej »

20190821_115850~2.jpg
ImageHmmm..... I may be totally wrong here, but compared to my M18 with a similar front end, yours seems set up differently. On mine and most others I have seen, the brake arm is 180 degrees round, so is at the bottom of the brake plate. Yours looks kinda cluttered
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drunclej

Post by Drunclej »

Belay that!.... I've just had a quick Google image search, and found one set up like yours.
It's been a long day....
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John, broadly speaking your brake plate is 1953 to 1956 and the one with the higher arm behind the slider is 1956 to 1963 (ignoring comp models and CSR's)
Drunclej

Post by Drunclej »

Ah! That explains it. Hope I didn't add to the confusion 😃
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 pm John, broadly speaking your brake plate is 1953 to 1956 and the one with the higher arm behind the slider is 1956 to 1963 (ignoring comp models and CSR's)
Wouldn't that be 54-55 broadly speaking as 53 had the alloy plate on the single sided hub and 56 went to the higher arm. :thumbup: Plus it's rude to ignore CS and CSR models as they used the same high arm plate from 56-62 inc 63 only CSR.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:03 pm
Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 pm John, broadly speaking your brake plate is 1953 to 1956 and the one with the higher arm behind the slider is 1956 to 1963 (ignoring comp models and CSR's)
Wouldn't that be 54-55 broadly speaking as 53 had the alloy plate on the single sided hub and 56 went to the higher arm. :thumbup: Plus it's rude to ignore CS and CSR models as they used the same high arm plate from 56-62 inc 63 only CSR.
Absolutely not, you are confusing the plate with the hub the 1953 lower lever arm faces forward, I purposely used the term "broadly" to avoid a detailed response and adding confusion, looks like I failed ;)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:47 pm
ajscomboman wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:03 pm
Absolutely not, you are confusing the plate with the hub the 1953 lower lever arm faces forward, I purposely used the term "broadly" to avoid a detailed response and adding confusion, looks like I failed ;)
You added confusion as the 53 whilst facing forward isn't a full width hub! :D