Dynamo Armature

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

Dynamo Armature

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all, hope everyone is well, I am looking at getting another armature for my E3N-Lo dynamo and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the better brands to look for. I have read that Lucas has parts made all over the place and are not as good as they once were , the Wassell name comes up as well. Looking on line the price for new ones range from 80 GBP for UK made to high hundreds. Having a problem getting one here in Australia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you , Steve.
Groily

Re: Dynamo Armature

Post by Groily »

Don't see why you should pay 'high hundreds' Steve.

The UK made ones you mention are on the good side of OK.
I guess you're looking at Feked's site or similar - where the various available E3 armatures are available at the £80 you mention. The ones pictured on their site are indeed UK-made, and distributed through the trade by Wassell (unless perhaps a merchant goes directly to the manufacturer). Lucas part # 200802, Wassel #WW10213 for the UK-made E3N version.
A foreign-made Wassell one is also available WW10213P but not sure from whom or how good, as have always used the UK one.

Rex's Speed Shop in the UK does a complete UK-made kit, including field coil, brushes and bearings (for what shows up where I am in France as 162€). That might be an option if you need more than just the armature?

I suppose the hassle for you is postage, delay, and maybe import duty. Not sure what the pain level is on that, but even if there were a reseller where you are, those costs would have to have been taken into account I guess . . .
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks mate for your reply, I have found one place in Melbourne that has a Lucas but I can get 2 including postage for less from the U.K.. I have just seen the Rex's ones and they are a good price but not sure of quality. Do you or do you know of anyone that has had one? Thanks again , as usual a wealth of knowledge.
Groily

Post by Groily »

I know folk here who have had Rex ones, yup. A popular source in fact. Same item as Feked sell, plus extras. Either source should see you all right.

Maybe there are folk down there who'd rewind your dud one - but probably more expensive than pretty much any other route, even if the result could be slightly better. (There are tweaks that can be made to do a better job than original.) But I don't think it's probably worth it.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Expensive is right , over $400 for rewind, and the shaft still has a slight bend, a new one is recommended.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Steve didn't say explicitly but IIRC from sending stuff to family in Australia... The limit for buying/sending goods into Australia is A$1000, somewhat more generous than the UK.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

It is cheaper to get any brand sent from the UK than buy from Australia, would just be interested in a recommended type/ brand as there are a few about.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks again guys for your help, greatly appreciated.
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

I got a dynamo overhaul kit (armature, field coil, bearings and brushes) for my E3AR from Rex and it was packed well and shipped promptly, took a few weeks to get to Perth but no problems with import duty or customs. Kit looks good, haven’t installed it yet so cant vouch for results yet
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

G'day Andrew thanks for reply. It sounds like Rex might be the go, if you get it installed in the near future I wouldn't mind hearing how you went.
Thanks again , Steve.