Transporting a Bike to France

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Sussex Peter

Transporting a Bike to France

Post by Sussex Peter »

I have not taken a motorcycle to France on the back of my van since before Brexit but am planning to do so this year en-route to the Dutch Big Port Rally. I've heard some horror stories about how the French authorities can now deal with motorcycles that are not being ridden but carried by trailer or bikerack, apparently sometimes even requiring import documents or carnet. Note there is a distinction here between a bike being ridden and one being transported.
Does anyone have any experience of this or advice to give. I believe Carnets are expensive so don't want to have to go down that route and may well have to cancel trip if it comes to that. Don't think riding all the way to Groningen on Big Port is viable at my age either. Peter.
g80csp11

Re: Transporting a Bike to France

Post by g80csp11 »

Hope it can make it to Ardingly on 26th March , The theme is The Roaring Twenties & Thirties, showcasing sporting machines from the Golden Age of motorcycling during the inter-war years. You qualify on both bike age and rider :-)
Sorry dont know answer to your question but have seen this

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/border-crossing/
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I don't think any members who went to last year's rally without special documents had any difficulties.
Post Brexit thousands of people a year are taking motorbikes and scooters to France in their motorhomes or towed on trailers without special documents. The bike must be registered on the V5 to the person taking it.
You should replace your 'GB' sticker with a 'UK' one (and prepare to be asked as I have been several times if I miss being at home in Ukraine).
(You may need to adjust the powerful headlamp beam for riding on the right ;) ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

There is a letter from the EU stating that motorcycles on trailers or in vans with correct documents have uninterrupted passage.
I have a copy of this and can give to one of the Sussex section members.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Ah but just what are the correct documents?
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Correct docs are V5C and valid insurance certificate in owners name who must travel with the motorcycle.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Thanks Dudley.
Sussex Peter

Post by Sussex Peter »

Thanks for all your comments. Consensus seems to be that all should be OK if common sense prevails - so what could possibly go wrong! If you will be at Ardingly Dudley, perhaps I could have a glance at your letter from EU.
Is anybody else interested in going to the Big Port Party ?