Lights, capacitors, action.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Duncan

Re: Lights, capacitors, action.

Post by Duncan »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:37 am
The Vandal wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:59 am I also see led bulbs are available for stop/tail and headlamp, worth changing them all over to reduce power requirement?
Whoaah, Ande! Don't introduce more variables.
First get it sorted as it is.

;)
Also be aware that some LED's are polarity sensitive.
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

Interesting developments today.

First up, lights totally not working this morning. They were working yesterday or the day before or whenever I last tried so wtf?

I had put the lighting switch back in the headlamp cowl properly but had not fitted the spring clip properly so it was bridging some of the terminals.

See photo with the switch out the cowl just because I can’t get a photo when it’s in. This is the way the spring clip is meant to right? Tucked into the recess in the plastic at the back rather than hitting contacts obvs, it’s like the krypton factor trying to get that thing on so maybe I’m doing it wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

Next up the new battery arrived.

I had gone to the listing that I’d bought before and clicked the ‘Buy Again’ button so I was confused when the battery wouldn’t fit where it did before.

Turned out I was sent a 2.5Ah battery last time instead of the 5Ah.

Not best chuffed with the seller but it’s too long since the original purchase for me to do much about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

Anyway, with the new battery fitted everything send to be back to working properly.

Woo!
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

And the Moto Batt charger recognises the new battery.

Double woo!
Groily

Post by Groily »

:beer: :beer: :clap: :clap:
duncan57

Post by duncan57 »

To be useful, the capacitor will only supply about 0.1 of an amp for a second going from 7v to 5v. The dynamo is unlikely to provide enough current to sound the horn on its own. It is one of the reasons that the horn is wired directly to the battery and not through the ammeter. Electrolytic capacitors can leak through which will draw more power from the dynamo making it even harder for it to power the lights. If you are seeing 7v from the dynamo, it looks like the system is working as it should but it was designed to power the headlight and tail light continuously and to charge the battery enough for occasional use of the stoplight and horn
clive

Post by clive »

On the spring clip something looks wrong to me. Looks like yours is bent, it's years since I have fitted one but I think they should be flat ie in a single plane or at least significantly less bent than yours seems to be. The tension of opening the spring is what should retain it in the grooves. But maybe mine were worn out! If all else fails try retaining the switch with clear silicon sealant.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Flip spring over and rotate 90°?
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire