6 to12v Conversion

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Paul350

6 to12v Conversion

Post by Paul350 »

My 1961 Model 16 has been converted to 12v using the original 6v three wire alternator. However Charging was poor to non existent. I had the rectifier- regulator tested and OK. Alternator did give Output but apparently not enough. I decided to fit a new Lucas 12v alternator and stator. Both fit, but as they are both narrower than the 6v originals they will not line up perfectly when the primary cover is fitted. Is this a problem? Does anyone have any experience of this? A thicker spacer would move the stator out and help.

Any thoughts/experience ?

Regards Paul
Joker_Bones

Re: 6 to12v Conversion

Post by Joker_Bones »

I have recently built up a alternator model 16 from parts...
I fitted a wassell rotor and a found lucas stator. I did not have a spacer so turned one to the thickness required to fit the rotor in the center of the stator give or take a mil or two.
How crucial it is I do not know... It's not too onerous to swap out the rotor, try it and see?
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Could you not make up 3x round spacers (or use thick thick washers) to fit behind on the studs that hold the stator in the primary case?. The thickness would need to be 2x times the thickness difference of old and new as BOTH are currently set back from each other by the single thickness difference which doubles the distance...
Paul350

Post by Paul350 »

Thanks for the replies. I have currently fitted the new stator and rotor without spacers. I am about to test as is . Will report back.
Paul350

Post by Paul350 »

Hi folks,
Since fitting the 12v alternator stator and rotor the charging is still a little suspect never seems to charge much at all, shows discharge at tick over.
However I have discovered that AMC Classic spares can supply an alternative spacer for use with later 12v rotors. So I have one on order (part no. 029682) hopefully this will be the solution.