Speedometer removal 1929 M5 Tank mounted

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Angelo

Speedometer removal 1929 M5 Tank mounted

Post by Angelo »

I need to remove the speedometer from the tank if my 1929 M5 to check it over and fit a drive cable (there isn't one at the moment) It is a gearbox driven Speedometer.

I have undone the bolt under the tank and the Speedo becomes loose but will not fully pull out - something stops it at about halfway out. What am not doing?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Angelo on Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Re: Speedometer removal 1929 M5 Tank mounted

Post by Rob Harknett »

I made a reply to you via another e group Angelo. M5 is 1929 not 1925 as was typed.
Rob
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Rob Harknett wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:27 pm I made a reply to you via another e group Angelo. M5 is 1929 not 1925 as was typed.
Rob
Rob - I have corrected my typo - big hands small phone 😩
I think I have a problem with the e group - I posted and saw it but now it's gone and the email and password I provided is not being accepted - also a like of spam came in to my email after registering. If you have my email address can you contact me via that to sort it out - thanks
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

HI Angelo
I'm not sure if you've got an answer to your problem, but it's probably the speedo cable that is fouling the tank. Lift the front of the speedo and tilt it up as you pull the speedo up. As long as you've detached the speedo cable at the drive end on the gearbox you should be able to pull it through the tunnel in the petrol tank.
Cheers
Tim
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Tim K wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:40 am HI Angelo
I'm not sure if you've got an answer to your problem, but it's probably the speedo cable that is fouling the tank. Lift the front of the speedo and tilt it up as you pull the speedo up. As long as you've detached the speedo cable at the drive end on the gearbox you should be able to pull it through the tunnel in the petrol tank.
Cheers
Tim
Thanks Tim - it looks like someone previous has dropped a ring line a bevel ring down - I used a probe camera to see - it's fouling the Speedo drive and locking it up - I think if I get the tank off and turn it upside down with a bit of jiggling it should come out - I will get to it in the next month. Thanks
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

UPDATE

I have removed the Speedo - I was wrong about something blocking it - I don't quite know what I saw on the probe camera! Anyhow there was no cable attached just a bit of surface rust on the clock case making it difficult to slide it up and forward - a bit a gentle but firm pressure and out it came. I have tested it and it's working but a bit loose inside so need varies a lot. I did manage to get a gearbox drive some months ago and that fits ok.

I think I will get a cable and clock overhaul - Speedy Cables?