Monobloc carb slide

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shaunstaples

Re: Monobloc carb slide

Post by shaunstaples »

g5wqian wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:31 am
i don't have an air filter and just use a trumpet with bit of gauze in to stop the bugs getting in .

I also have an AJS model 30 , it uses a 376 carb and runs fantastic but one thing I have found is that if I have any backfires especially when bike is not moving , I need to check around back of carb quickly in case its got any flames there , because I was out one day and when I was trying to start it up it backfired and I didn't at first notice a small flame coming from back of carb , luckily I spotted it and blew it out but if I had let it sit there it may have set the thing alight .
I've been worried about this too as there's evidence of my model 20 having some sort of drama in the past. The paint is blistered on downtube under rear of tank, with the outer sheathings repaired on the control cables and was kicking back and back firing through carb a bit too much.

So far I have found:

L/H manifold gasket 1/3 missing
Carb flange studs stripped (one no thread at all)
Ignition timing about 1/2" btdc (lever advanced)
R/H exhaust valve clearance tight (hoping not a sign of early onset seat trouble)
Condenser defunct ( fitted EasyCap but need to pluck up courage to dig old one out)
Refurbished carb fitted with standard jet sizes for year and changed from 3.5 to 4 cutaway (pilot jet was wrong and main jet couldn't read size but hole looks bigger than 240 I fitted! )

Condenser stopped it popping and revs up as expected, needs choke slide at first but warms up quickly. Got about 1/8" if I'm lucky between carb intake and frame and also hole in downtube for filter doesn't line up either, but needs some sort of filter (job for later)

I would use one of my socks with one of the lacky bands Postman Pat keeps dropping on drive! , if I can find one that doesn't need darning!!