Highwaystar

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
eyupwotsthadoin

Highwaystar

Post by eyupwotsthadoin »

Hello. I will admit I was that person that bought the 125 Highwaystar. ( Titter ye not missus). My problem is this.
The engine runs fine in all gears except second. Free revving in first, Change into second and the engine gets to 3500 rpm and it just wants to die.
It did this once and totally cutout when pulling to traffic, made mr nipsy twitch a bit.
I have fitted new plugs , 0nly run it on E5 fuel either shell 99 octane or BP 97 octane and still get the same issue.
Does anyone have any sugestions as to the solution.
Also , does anyone have any ideas as to which OBD system will be able to read the Delphi MT05 ecu rather than pay the silly price as shown on the AJS shop for a diags reader.
Ta very much.
Trog.
Ralph

Re: Highwaystar

Post by Ralph »

If it's fine in all other gears does it have a gearbox sensor to tell the ecu what gear it's in? if so
could be that or the wiring to it, if it has a gear indicator on the clocks could be something to
do with that. If it's always done it from new could a pin on the ecu plug be bent?
Ralph

eyupwotsthadoin

Thanks Ralph. No this doesnt have a gear indicator on the speedo. this is a 2019 model. I'll have a look at the pins when I get some time.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

On the Flatty I made out of a js125e I binned the ecu unit
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
eyupwotsthadoin

Finally sorted. After trying to kill me by cutting out whilst crossing the A64 it came up with engine warning light. Scanned for codes and came up with PO444 evap valve. fitted new one and OK since. Thanks for the replys guys.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

eyupwotsthadoin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:53 pm Finally sorted. After trying to kill me by cutting out whilst crossing the A64 it came up with engine warning light. Scanned for codes and came up with PO444 evap valve. fitted new one and OK since. Thanks for the replys guys.
What did you use to read the codes in the end? Or can you step through them on the bike, as can on my Guzzi?

Malc
Hotjazzfan

Post by Hotjazzfan »

Hi I am a VERY new member but VERY oId! I am very pleased to see the modern bikes catered for Done years of Beezers and a Triumph 21. But they all too heavy and too tall for me. Have recently bought an e-2 It does everything I want.So I am really chuffed with it I bought it from a friend who preferred it to the Cadwell which I quite fancied.Look forward to reading your comments on these great machines.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Welcome Brian.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Hotjazzfan

Post by Hotjazzfan »

As my legs appear to get shorter every night I resorted to changing the twin shock
Hotjazzfan

Post by Hotjazzfan »

for 320 eye to eye. A simple job which lowered the bike ( an e-2 ) by around 15 mm. When I got back from my trial run I couldn't stand the bike up it was leaning to the right.I had obviously reduced the ground clearance. So now I am altering the kickstand. .Something I didn't think about.