HELP Sticking clutch lever

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
PX207

HELP Sticking clutch lever

Post by PX207 »

Afternoon all, went out for a morning ride this morning on the AJS model 20, and started having a problem with the clutch lever not fully returning, which resulted in me having to push it forward everytime I changed gear. If I didn't do this the clutch would stay engaged. When I got home I put it in 1st pulled the clutch in an it kicked over fine with no resistance.

I've also disconnected the cable from the lever, just incase that was the issue and it runs smooth and free.

Any suggestion appreciated as I'm riding to Surrey tomorrow :D

Paul
g80csp11

Re: HELP Sticking clutch lever

Post by g80csp11 »

are you sure you havnt tightened the clutch pivot screw on lever too tight , needs to be almost rattle loose . Is it a new lever ?
Assume its a B52 box with the 3 balls actuator in gerabox , if worn then go too far and click , only option is to replace the parts
shown on page 46 and page 23 of spares list

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... G9_G11.pdf
PX207

Re: HELP Sticking clutch lever SORTED

Post by PX207 »

g80csp11 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:09 pm are you sure you havnt tightened the clutch pivot screw on lever too tight , needs to be almost rattle loose .
g80csp11 - spot on! Only realised when I was putting it back together in order ready to go to the next step in the workshop manual. Not sure how the pivot nut managed to self tighten though, just glad it's sorted for tomorrow - everyday is a school day 😀

Thanks 👍
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Damn thing happened again on the way back from a club night! Shield I just fit a lock nut as it seems to tighten after long journeys :o
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

locknut or a nyloc that will resist vibration or even loctite, at least you know what the problem is now