Crashbars

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jackstringer

Re: Crashbars

Post by jackstringer »

Yuk, U bolts onto the frame.

I have the original fit ones in my G3LS and I wouldn't rely on them. Having fallen off enough bikes over the years (mostly off road) I have found you can protect from the random things that go wrong. Bars stop some damage but can cause the bike to dig in and flip etc if it hits mud.
Redrock

Post by Redrock »

I was travelling a 30mph when an oncoming car turned right about 4 car lengths in front of me. I did not have crash bars fitted and my left leg was effectively the crumple zone. One replacement hip later and permament damage to the lower leg ; would a crash bar have prevented this damage to my leg? I really don't know, I think crash bars would have absorbed some of the energy and protected my leg from some of the damage and it's possible I would have had less serious injuries lower down my leg. On another occasion I have had my leg trapped under a toppled bike and was stuck until some helpful people lifted the bike, I think they are good thing and if you can find a suitable set I would fit them.

On reflection I think it's best not to have a crash at all, sadly this is not always within our control.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Redrock wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:39 pm I was travelling a 30mph when an oncoming car turned right about 4 car lengths in front of me. I did not have crash bars fitted and my left leg was effectively the crumple zone. One replacement hip later and permament damage to the lower leg ; would a crash bar have prevented this damage to my leg? I really don't know, I think crash bars would have absorbed some of the energy and protected my leg from some of the damage and it's possible I would have had less serious injuries lower down my leg. On another occasion I have had my leg trapped under a toppled bike and was stuck until some helpful people lifted the bike, I think they are good thing and if you can find a suitable set I would fit them.

On reflection I think it's best not to have a crash at all, sadly this is not always within our control.
Mine was as I hit the car I went over the bars but my leg being trapped mean I snapped my femur and even broke the skin. A pin and 4 screws later I can walk but I can tell the weather with it. Crash bars wouldn't help.

I have seen bikes with crash bungs get caught up and they have caused damage and some even have bent parts they were attached to. The trick is DFC.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Andy.S wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:41 pm Hi
I have used these one with great success before https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/en/univers ... r=10022100
Hi Andy,
Have you a pic of the bars fitted to your bike please?
Mike
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

Hi mikeydpippin Sorry i sold all my classic bikes last Autumn and have searched my pictures but cant find one with the bars fitted.