Dynamo issues

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

Re: Dynamo issues

Post by clive »

ajscomboman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:43 am You're not wrong Spriddler, all dynamos on singles are removed from K/start side and nothing more than the sprocket and chain needs to be removed for it to be extracted. Bit of wiggling might be required to line up the alinement bracket (if it's got one fitted) with the small slots on the engine plates All the drive side and rear chaincase remain intact.
Well all singles may be correct Rob but with the pre 52 Matchless with the rear mag you can only do that if you remove both the inner and outer timing case. Not only does this involve retIming the mag but usually retiming the exhaust cam as it came away with the inner cover. Much easier to remove the clutch and engine drive followed by primary case inner. Just a methodical replacement rather than retiming. Of course this is irrelevant for an AJS and the reason my rigid Matchless has a 1950 AJS engine! :beer:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:18 pm
ajscomboman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:43 am You're not wrong Spriddler, all dynamos on singles are removed from K/start side and nothing more than the sprocket and chain needs to be removed for it to be extracted. Bit of wiggling might be required to line up the alinement bracket (if it's got one fitted) with the small slots on the engine plates All the drive side and rear chaincase remain intact.
Well all singles may be correct Rob but with the pre 52 Matchless with the rear mag you can only do that if you remove both the inner and outer timing case. Not only does this involve retIming the mag but usually retiming the exhaust cam as it came away with the inner cover. Much easier to remove the clutch and engine drive followed by primary case inner. Just a methodical replacement rather than retiming. Of course this is irrelevant for an AJS and the reason my rigid Matchless has a 1950 AJS engine! :beer:
Very true with that Matchless statement, stupid bloody design, I never could understand why they stuck with it for so long! Who ever thought that mag over Dyno was a good idea wanted shot!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:49 pm Very true with that Matchless statement, stupid bloody design, I never could understand why they stuck with it for so long! Who ever thought that mag over Dyno was a good idea wanted shot!

Never mind putting a magneto under a dripping carburettor. :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'