16m bike cutting out

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
robmayer

16m bike cutting out

Post by robmayer »

I've recently acquired a 1956 16m. The bike starts fine but once I release the clutch it cuts out. This is my first old British bike, usually have Harleys, ( also had a tr6r 1971), so all very new to me. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Andy G

Re: 16m bike cutting out

Post by Andy G »

If it was a runner when bought ,then its probably unfamiliarity with starting procedure of this indiv machine. Once running, and slightly warm, you should have the choke slide open and retard lever slack when you set off. Don't be surprised by having to add more throttle than a modern bike. And you're definitely getting first in the box?
If it wasnt a runner when bought, have you run it ok in gear on the stand? Nothing locked up?
Sounds like you could be about to chase a fuel/spark/timing setting. Fresh fuel flows smoothly from tank, vent in tank cap clear? Timing set correctly? Fresh/clean plug?
Last edited by Andy G on Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

If the bike starts and runs OK, then it shouldn't stop when you let the clutch out, assuming that you give it some throttle. If you're unfamiliar with the bike, remember that you lift the gear lever UP to engage first gear, unlike a lot of modern bike where you press down to engage first. As well as my AMC machines, I ride a relatively modern Honda with the gears on the left and down for first. I also ride a couple of Meriden Triumphs where the gears are on the right but also down for first. I have to think which bike I'm riding and 'set my head' accordingly. :lol: :lol:
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Rob.
You haven't given the year of your bike but if you don't have the Owners Manual which give s how to set the levers, starting, riding etc. you'll find it here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_manuals/

Good luck.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:08 am Welcome, Rob.
You haven't given the year of your bike but if you don't have the Owners Manual which give s how to set the levers, starting, riding etc. you'll find it here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_manuals/

Good luck.
It's a 56
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy G wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:14 pm It's a 56
:thumbup:

(It must be me age; I can't remember if I've had any visitors today either :roll: ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'