Rear rack

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
PX207

Rear rack

Post by PX207 »

Evening all, does anyone have a rear rack fitted to their model 20 (mines a 59 if that makes a difference)? Just wondering where the secure to, I have one on my G3LS and that is secured through the top of the mudguard as well as the sides.

Many thanks
shaunstaples

Re: Rear rack

Post by shaunstaples »

I'm looking for one too, to go in place of the pillion pad currently bolted through the mudguard. I don't want to drill anymore so will probably have to be a bespoke one that picks up the same holes? unless there's one already made?

Thanks Shaun
Taid

Post by Taid »

The club spares lists show 2 .. one 1959, one 1959 and later.

They fix to the the rear mudguard support struts from the top of the rear shockers ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Taid but they look like they bolt to the side of the mudguard and I'm looking to utilise the pillion seat holes.
Also I'm looking for a slimmer profile that's just wider than the mudguard like these, but in black finish and I'd have to sort out brackets that work with the holes I've already got.
https://www.classicbikeracks.co.uk/prod ... uard-rack/

I want to keep the option of the pillion seat, but doubt it'll get used much as the mother in law lives a few doors down from us, so chance of me and the missus sneaking past are much slimmer than me these days!!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Paul, in addition to the club racks you can either pick up a auto jumble used or new Craven carrier https://craven-equipment.co.uk/index.php/bikeracks but they have to have bespoke brackets made.
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Thanks all, took me a while to find them on the spares website 😀, glad I don't have to go through the rear mudguard .
Taid

Post by Taid »

If you are buying 2nd (or more) hand, be aware that the 55/56 and maybe earlier have a wider spread on the legs ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Taid wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 pm If you are buying 2nd (or more) hand, be aware that the 55/56 and maybe earlier have a wider spread on the legs ..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought maybe later :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: