Inner Fork Tubes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KerryAJS

Inner Fork Tubes

Post by KerryAJS »

Looking for advise on the attached. Should I replace or is the pitting on the upper section acceptable ?
I haven't spent much time on cleaning them as yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Inner Fork Tubes

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It isn't easy to get a feel for the seriousness of the corrosion from the photos and I don't want the responsibility of advising you one way or the other since obviously the stanchions are a safety critical component. They could be O.K. for many more years, or not.
It rather depends upon your attitude to risk. Mine changed considerably after a life-changing collision, which although it wasn't due to component failure the resulting months/years of surgery, rehab and residual effects would incline me towards replacing them.
My other criterion when considering whether parts should be replaced is to ask myself if the doubt would be nagging in the back of my mind whenever I would be out riding, possibly far from home.
Old bikes and cars have been my main hobby (and expense) for 60 years so the cost of new stanchions wouldn't figure in my decision.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I need to look at this area once I get the Matchless engine / gearbox reassembled into the frame.

I feel that an estimate of the depth of corrosion versus the original wall depth could be scary. You never know when the power of the front brake will cause damage in an emergency stop!

Johnny B
KerryAJS

Post by KerryAJS »

Thank you both for saying what I was feeling. My only fear is, having worked on classic cars for years and not bikes, that old parts are better that the new available parts. Is it possible to get new, good quality for tubes?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:10 pm You never know when the power of the front brake will cause damage in an emergency stop!
Never mind the potholes!
Ten days ago my car burst a tyre at 20mph on an invisible pothole on a busy 'rat run' road locally. There was about 1" of flood water right across the road at the time. I've raised a claim against W. Sussex Highways for the £160 tyre.
Van. Long shot.JPG
Road left side.JPG
Hole 1 dims..jpg
KerryAJS wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:21 pm ....... having worked on classic cars for years and not bikes, that old parts are better that the new available parts. Is it possible to get new, good quality for tubes?
Indeed there's some truth in that part-worn originals can be better than repro parts but I'm not sure that applies to damaged/corroded originals.

Club spares have 1 1/4" tubes for up to '63 which are made 'as per factory specifications'.

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=21512
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Spriddler that is scary! Imagine hitting that at even moderate speed on an old bike, that could be life threatening.
Re the stanchions. I very much doubt you would get the oil to stay in those forks . Its surprising how little variation it takes for the seals to start letting oil out . I would replace.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Pot hole.jpg
when my 1927 H4 broke a conrod/crankcase i was riding over pot holes like Sprid has shown . was it flex in old engine case or a crack in conrod or maybe just coincidence i was riding over pot holes at the same time. certainly £800 to repair

as far as condition of fork tubes , they will leak , replace with new ones
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ChrisTheChippy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:56 pm Spriddler that is scary! Imagine hitting that at even moderate speed on an old bike, that could be life threatening.
It certainly was, and as you say.... if I had been on two wheels...... :shock:

It was also scary nipping 'blind' out and back into the busy road next day (with a bend each end of the damage site) to get the photos and measure them as required on the W. Sussex road claims website.

I reported it by phone immediately on the day and the guy said that as it hadn't been previously reported they would not accept responsibility. No remedial action yet when I drove along the road this afternoon.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Morale of the story is ... get yer mates to phone up and report it then make your claim . Sightly dishonest but it is a very unfair system.
KerryAJS

Post by KerryAJS »

Thanks everyone for the sound advise on replacing the stanchions.. they've been added to my shopping list.

The advice from experience on this forum is priceless.. thanks again.