Burman CP Gearbox

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Burman CP Gearbox

Post by Invicta »

Having failed in my attempts to locate part number 357-X-1 , the bronze bush that fits inside the 27 tooth third gear, or the bushes that fit on the layshaft. I have a 1" dia phospher bronze bar from my days as a tool maker, from which new bushes can be made. The old bush has a clearance of 0.005" and the bushes on the lay shaft 0.006" and 0.007" . Ideally the clearance would be one and a half to two thou. I am wondering if it is worth the effort of getting these new bushes made as there must be hundreds of these old CP gear boxes still giving good service with worn bushes. This was a basket case so I have no idea of how the gearbox performed when last used. I have no previous experience of Burman gearboxes so am asking, is it really esential that these bushes be replaced ?
Trefor

Re: Burman CP Gearbox

Post by Trefor »

Have you tried https://draganfly.co.uk/ ? They list many CP parts as the boxes were used in Ariels.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I can't answer the question but it's a CP box in the WD bikes and I haven't looked in detail but there appears to be bush wear tolerances given in the gearbox inspection standards from page 19 onwards in the manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... ndards.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

most likely that this is what you want , CP box layshaft bush - im not 100% sure its the same but cant see why it would be different
I tried making bushes for gears in the past , and other than ending up with swarf all over the floor its easier to buy ready made

Russell Motors also have parts ( closed Mon and Wednesday )

https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/62931/lays ... p/#3146-33
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thank you to all who replied.
I have tried Draganfly, Russell motors, Peter's Clasic bits in the Netherlands and just about anyone with a listing on the web. The plain bushes that are on the lay shaft are not listed anywhere as a separate item that I can find, and no one has the third gear bush 357-X-1. I have found the bushes for the ends of the lay shaft at Russell motors along with bushes for the main drive gear.
Thank you Spriddler for the guide to the army manual for the WD CP gearbox. It looks as though I have a thou or so left before reaching the condemed stage. I doubt that I will be putting that many miles on the clock once I have finished the re-build, so I think that I will make do with just the new bushes that I can obtain, and hope that some nice thick gear oil will take up some of the clearances in those that I can not replace.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Further to my last. I spoke to Les at Russell Motors and he confirmed that the bushes on the layshaft came as one item complete with the layshaft and were never available as separate items. He has the bush for the 27 tooth third gear, but you have to buy a new third gear that it comes ready fitted inside for £38.00