A question for anyone with a Thorspark unit

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

A question for anyone with a Thorspark unit

Post by MalcW »

Hi

I've decided to get a Thorspark unit to fit into the end cap of the K2F magneto on my Model31. I was just wondering where anyone using these picks the power feed up from, whether they have a hidden switch, etc. etc.

Thanks,

Malc
G3L1946

Re: A question for anyone with a Thorspark unit

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi MalcW,

Does this link help you?

https://reinterceptor.wordpress.com/201 ... -ignition/

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 am ......... whether they have a hidden switch, etc. etc.
I have never heard of a classic bike being stolen by being ridden away. According to Peter James Insurance almost all are stolen by a couple of blokes wearing hi-vis jackets who turn up in a van signed 'Acme Motorcycle Recovery' or some such, chuck the bike in the back and are gone within a minute or two.
The best security is to chain it to a immovable object and or fit a cover over the bike.
Obviously you mustn't forget to remove the chain before you ride your bike away.
Chain. 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Steve, yes that's very useful, thank you. Spriddler, I agree, I do have a seriously hefty chain and lock. I was thinking more from the viewpoint of a neat installation rather than anti theft. One suggestion I had was to power it from the light switch. My bike is 12v and I have all LEDs other than the halogen headlamp. The Thorspark only draws about 4w on a 12v system apparently, so I guess I could switch to sidelight before starting, or even pick up power from the taillight feed. What do you think?

Good cartoon btw. My personal faux pas, on a modern bike, was to start a U turn from where the bike was parked with the disk lock still on, resulting in a sudden stop and drop. Naturally there were several people around to witness it...

Malc
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I used to have a waterproof toggle switch with mine seated on the handlebars
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

You can’t beat a good working Magneto talk to Rob Swift he has a second hand one for sale.
Roy
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Battery&DualCoil.jpg
Any use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

I drilled a hole through the front facing side of the battery box and fitted a simple toggle switch, not in the way of anything there and works a treat.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mollbhan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm I drilled a hole through the front facing side of the battery box and fitted a simple toggle switch, not in the way of anything there and works a treat.
Thank you - I'm thinking along similar lines at the moment. It's arrived now, I just have to find time to fit it.

Malc
peter ranson

Post by peter ranson »

G15 Roy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:14 pm You can’t beat a good working Magneto talk to Rob Swift he has a second hand one for sale.
I agree , you wont see many light aircraft with that new fangled electronic ignition on .