Speedo drive

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ChrisTheChippy

Speedo drive

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi a little help required please. Ajs 650 csr 1960 .
I have 2 questions.
1/ I am trying to remove the speedo drive from the rear hub the wheel is out of the bike . I have removed the spindle and associated bits from the other side . I am aware it's a left hand thread . I have got the retaining nut turning but it just keeps going round and round so it's obviously not un screwing from whatever it screws into . Where have I gone wrong? Should I put the spindle and all the bits back and try again ? The speedo drive is quite loose and flopping about a bit now so something is undoing but it isn't the retaining nut !

2/ I can't get the cable drive out of the speedo gearbox. The cable is in poor condition and basically scrap. I don't want to force anything as the speedo drive seems perfectly salvageable and is working.
Any ideas ????
ajscomboman

Re: Speedo drive

Post by ajscomboman »

You've pretty much answered your own question. It all has to go back together and you undo the speedo drive lock nut first. It's NOT a left hand thread though.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks Rob.
I could have sworn it said left hand thread in the manual!
Any thoughts on the second question? Have you ever known a speedo cable to jam solid in the drive ? I have soaked it in penetrating oil . Cable is still turning fine so a bit strange.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Jammed cables isn't that uncommon if it was a poor fit in the first place. They tend to then twist and lock in the square drive. You might have to get brutal with it! Be prepared to buy another speedo drive if things go pearshaped!
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Well for now I have just bypassed this job ! I think it's going to be too time consuming while I have so many other things to get on with. I will have to come back to it again but I think I'm going to give myself a morale boost and get on with rebuilding the forks . Things seem to be moving too slowly despite my best efforts! I have given myself until the end of February to complete this build and I can't see that happening now. Thanks again Rob.