Safe to use penetrating/ general oils on Chrome

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
G3L1946

Safe to use penetrating/ general oils on Chrome

Post by G3L1946 »

Morning to one and all,

I thought I would share this little piece of information with you. I recently read an article that stated that WD40 contained acid and, therefore, it was not advisable to use as a rust protector for chrome ( such as wheel rims and exhausts ). This article was contained within another motorcycle chat forum ( I think from across the Atlantic). As my default product for this purpose has been WD40 I was somewhat concerned, and a little surprised, that it contained any harmful chemical let alone acid.
I contacted the manufacturer ( WD40 ) seeking their advice. I reproduce, with their permission, the reply I received.

“WD-40 Multi-Use product does not contain acids.

Lubricating oils do not contains acids, however, oils can be "aged" by reaction with air-oxygen over long periods or by high temperature causing the oils to become acidic.
During oil aging, the typical hydrocarbon chains become "acidic" due to the accumulation of oxygen. Technicians often use an acid value test to determine when an oil is spent "aged" and requires replacing to maintain performance.

Some lubricating oils such as WD-40 Multi-Use Product, contain additives to prevent/delay this oxidation of the oils, so you can be sure that regular maintenance of chrome with WD-40 Multi-Use Product will not harm your chrome.”

Duck oil ( manufactured by Swarfega ) has also been offered up as another effective rust prevention substance along with GT85 ( also manufactured by the WD40 group ). I’m sure there are many more!

As I say, just passed on as bit of QI information and, as I feel an anorak moment approaches, I will leave it there!

Regards to all,

Steve
Groily

Re: Safe to use penetrating/ general oils on Chrome

Post by Groily »

I'm glad that's another ignorant myth convincingly dispelled. I thought it was really just a fish-oil water dispersant, so ought to be good on bits that would suffer from moisture.

On the same topic, I saw the other day - and bought - an aerosol from the makers of WD40 that says it's a polish for alloy m/cycle bits. I'd never seen it before.
I'm not a polisher of things, but all the same, I gave a couple of timing covers and also a chrome rim a squirt and a wipe, and it seemed to do what it says on the tin. Couldn't say it was Autosol or Begum Alu shiny like many other people's efforts, but quick 'n easy at least for someone who's a bit work-shy!
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Groily,

Thought it was bit odd when I read it. WD40 make ( supply ) quite a lot of stuff, including 3 in 1 oil, electrical contact cleaner and GT85. The other ‘myth’ I was brought up with was that WD stood for War Department. Not sure what war! Later found out stood for Water Displacement with 40 being the final and number of attempts to get it right. Well, that’s what I was told!

Steve
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

What I enjoy about these stories is people panic about some mild acid stuff but are happy to use an abrasive to polish it.

Good to hear you didn't just swallow it as truth and pass on the error. Usually the stories either come from a competitor trying to muddy the waters or one of them moments when you ask a PhD type a question and get one of them vague answers, similar to what WD40 said to you.