External oil filter

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chris goldson

External oil filter

Post by chris goldson »

No doubt been covered before but wondering if to fit an external oil filter to my model 30. Would welcome thoughts on best way to do it and if there any drawbacks in terms of return flow etc.
Rob Harknett

Re: External oil filter

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its managed OK for 74 years, is it worth bothering about?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes Chris, been covered many times. Several discussion and info articles if you scroll through the pages for 'Oil system' in the Tech Articles pages.
http://www.jampot.com/article_showall.a ... Oil+System

One of our club members makes (used to make?) a filter adaptation for twins. See two photos here:

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=3501

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=3502

There are several compact stand-alone filter units available that use car screw-on filters which seem to be popular.
Oil filter assy (640x244).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Just wondered if there is any more info on these Oil filters please?

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=3501

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=3502

I've had a good read through and seen the drawings too, but wondered if anyone was running one?

The bit I'm stuck on is (on standard setup with felt filter) does the oil go through the one way valve and via the distributor before feeding crankshaft centre bearing or does it go direct to the crank via its own drilling after going through the filter. I can see from a picture the feed hole at the side of a mounting hole in the centre bearing plate, but cant see where the corresponding hole in the crankcase feeds from?

Thanks Shaun
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Think I found the answer but hopefully somebody can confirm if I'm on right track please?

Also what manual does everyone use, is there a clearer copy or better one than these?
I bought a 1950 copy of original manual but that doesn't go into enough detail, Also been looking at "Ajs_1949-1955_AJS_Twin_Motorcycles_F_Neill"
and found this drawing in "1957-1964__=M=_Workshop_Instruction_Manual_all_models"
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220927_150704.jpg
I have this one my '60 G12.
It was on the bike when I acquired it and I've never known its origin.
It looks the same the one in the linked pictures.
I can tell you no more about it other than the oil keeps its as new colour for much longer than on my other bikes without a spin on filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Joker, thought it would be worth doing. Is the main body of it made from Aluminium? Yours looks like it but on the pictures I found hard to tell as it looks newly made.
Sorry for 20 questions, but what oil do you use 20/50 or non multigrade?
I haven't rode my bike yet, had a bad winter so far with my chest so spent far too much time on computer and not nearly enough time in garage!
Cant wait for better weather and get out in peak district on it.
I sent for some new felt filters from club shop to get me started and it was run on straight 40 previously so will go with that to begin with, and just file the filter for a future project as it looks an amazing bit of engineering, well worth the time and effort put in to it :bow: :thumbup:
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

1957_1964__650_Engine_from_Workshop_manual.jpg
Here is a clearer scan...
650 twin, appears to be the same drawing.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20230129_113813.jpg
3502.jpg
I had a look to see...
Yes, made of aluminium.
Not identical if you look at the two photos.
Mine has four perimeter holes not six and has blanking screws fitted, the holes are only for tightening the body into the crankcase as far as I can tell.
The fella I bought the bike off had a lathe and milling machine in his shed, perhaps he made it.

Oil... I've heard it said you should not use a high detergent multi grade in an engine that has previously been using a low/non detergent monograde as the detergent may mobilise sludge.
I've used either low detergent classic type 20/50 or low/non detergent classic type straight 50.
The cartridge is the one listed for a Smart car :)
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks for the info. it looks like it's made from the original idea, the cartridge your using is nice and compact. Perhaps the blanking plug is to provide a point to measure oil pressure?
I wouldn't use multigrade until I had cleaned / inspected it and then only if I had a filter capable of detergent too.
Thanks for the picture and the quality drawing, even written on "to main bearing" and I can clearly see the position of the ball (and its round!)
Trouble is in six months time I will have forgotten!
Would think aluminium is best choice to because if the filter was knocked then you'd hope that it would shear off and not damage crankcase, where a nice shiny steel one might be too strong?
Definitely worth the effort and not modifying the case.
Thanks again for your time Shaun