1929 3 speed gear pitch

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tim K

1929 3 speed gear pitch

Post by Tim K »

Hi everyone
I'm working on a 1929 M6 350 with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer gearbox. The layshaft gears are trashed and will need replacing or welding and re-cutting. Can anyone tell me what DP they should be? I'm hoping that I may be able to track down some stock gears that I can adjust.
Cheers
Tim
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1929 3 speed gear pitch

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you haven't already found it there is the factory manual and a couple of GA/technical drawings for the 1929 three speed 'box in link below if it's of any help........

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... x_1929.pdf

More here which may be of some use.....

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... ey_Archer/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Thanks Spriddler - lot's of useful information there although I'm still not sure which model gearbox I have as it seems to pre-date all of the ones discussed in the articles. There was a table that stated 12DP for gears pre 1925 and 10DP for gears post 1925 so that gives me something to work with. My gearbox has an external kickstart and fixed central gear on the axle shaft and a sliding central gear on the layshaft.
Cheers
Tim
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Hi All
I managed to get some 10DP spur gears from MonotaRO in Singapore. A local engineer machined them to fit the shaft and I'm waiting for them to come back from being Nitrided - I'll let you know how the gearbox functions once they're fitted,
Cheers
Tim K
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

have you asked same question on facebook 'ajs motorcycles pre 31' page . often i see people manufacturing parts for this era of AJS