G12 CSR Front Mudguard Stay Bracket

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
John Jarrett

Re: G12 CSR Front Mudguard Stay Bracket

Post by John Jarrett »

G15 Roy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:11 pm Your forks look wrong with square bottom caps and early top nuts.
The forks are probably from a 1955 bike... that would be the only year with that combination.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Roy, it's possible the forks aren't original because there were signs that there had been damage to the front end when I got the 'bike.
Rob S, due to the above-mentioned damage, it's possible that my bracket setup is also not original, I don't think I'll change it though, because it makes it easier to clean and shine (if you know what I mean). :rofl:
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I have an under mudguard bracket on my G12, this is in stainless steel and was supplied direct from Andrew Engineering some years ago. I would agree that it makes cleaning and polishing so much easier and in my view, is a tidier method than the over mudguard/under mudguard sandwich affair. Perhaps the over/under bracket gives a more rigid fork brace but I’ve never noticed any fork flexing during normal riding or under heavy braking.
Duzmo

Post by Duzmo »

Thanks Columbo John, I can get drawing up my version, how thick are the brackets? I imagine they are about 1/8".
Cheers Nick